Faces...

Discussion in 'People' started by Seymore, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Seymore

Seymore Guest

I was requested, by a friend of mine, to take some shots at his fathers funeral. So I decided to load up the FM2n with some ISO800 (ASA800 for you ol'timers) and use the Tamron 300/2.8 to see what results I could muster. After development, these are generated by my neg scanner @ 2700DPI and just cleaned up a little. Please feel free to critique...

Oh, I luv my FM2n! And I'm fallin' in luv with "grain" all over again! My only regret on this shoot is that I didn't shift the lens to port for some of my shots... Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

2. Hi Seymore. It's got to be number three for me. I love the feel of the picture. It makes me think of times gone by..........

I also shoot with an FM2....... love it! Still saving for a dslr..... one day!

Graeme

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hiya Seymore,

These are very sensitive - shooting a funeral calls for even more 'human skills' than does shooting a wedding. I can appreciate the mood afforded by the grain and low contrast, however I do think a little more definition on the photos of the people in the first two images would better convey the 'truth of the eyes' as they say. However, you may be purposely hiding theim behind the lack of contrast to protect their inner feelings. As the photog, it's your call.

All in all, I think these are great, and as Graeme said, they convey a sense of the past, and of course for the participants, the loss of that past. good job.

4. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Thanks for the comments. It was a very somber few hours and I thought the capture was indicative of how people were feeling at the time.

There was some tension between family members. It turns out that there was some contention about the will and ver all responsibilities. Squabbles sometimes show, if you know what you're looking at.

Chris, can you please explain, in more detail, what you mean by "definition on the photos"? You mean who the people are? ..in relationship to the event?