Fairfax, VA Historic District

Took a walking tour of the historic district of Fairfax on Saturday evening. We saw the old Town Hall (or Court House) and the Ratcliffe-Allison House.

Lightning was pretty darn good and I was able to get some quick shots off. C&C welcome!

D300, 17-55 @ 55mm, f3.5 & 1/1250, ISO 200
DSC_6781.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Canons guard the court house. D300, 17-55 @ 17mm, f4 & 1/80, ISO 200
DSC_6789.jpg

The Old Court House. D300, 17-55 @ 18mm, f4 & 1/100, ISO 200
DSC_6797.jpg

Steeple silhouette in the setting sun. D300, 18-200VR @ 200mm, f5.6 & 1/160, VR, ISO 3200
DSC_6809.jpg

Very nice!

I especially like #1, #3 and #4. Interesting composition and light. My favorite is #1.

A lot of people will tell you to correct the perspective in #3 but I like it because of the lean. Just my opinion.

Nice processing on all of them. What the heck is going on that I can't offer any ideas about cropping? :biggrin:

If you want to take the time, you could eliminate hte telephone pole and wires in the last one.

Sunrise or sunset?

Very nice!

I especially like #1, #3 and #4. Interesting composition and light. My favorite is #1.

A lot of people will tell you to correct the perspective in #3 but I like it because of the lean. Just my opinion.

Nice processing on all of them. What the heck is going on that I can't offer any ideas about cropping? :biggrin:

If you want to take the time, you could eliminate hte telephone pole and wires in the last one.

Sunrise or sunset?

Mike - thanks for the great comments. Funny, everything you mentioned, I worked hard at getting it right. On #1, there were so many ways to crop it, and I thought of your cropping session. I think I'll send you the original and see what you think. (By the way #1 is cropped pretty good from the original already). I played with correcting the angle on #3, varying by 1/2 degrees but ultimately settled on what I show here. I may still send #4 off to PSE for a cloning session to rid it of unsightly wires and poles. Again, many thanks for the tips.

Have they torn down the old Fairfax Regional Library yet? The new library has been open for a few months now. The old one has a lot of history and personal meaning for me....

I keep meaning to get over to the city of Fairfax to see what's going on now but never quite make it. I think I just don't want to deal with the huge changes.

You have gotten some beautiful shots here!

Yo, Terry! I just noticed a couple things, one of which I'll warn you should be ignored. :biggrin:

You probably remember telling me about your friend who begins looking at an image by examining the perimeter before examining the center. Take a look at the right, top corner of image #3, the court house. Whatever that is, I would prefer seeing more of it or none of it.

The second thing makes me wonder if you are succumbing to the forces of the Dark Side without knowing it :biggrin::

Canons guard the court house.

Cameras will do about as good a job of guarding the court house as I did when I guarded the shores of the Potomac River with a clarinet on my shoulder. :biggrin:

If you have to ask me which of those ideas should be ignored, we're both in trouble. :biggrin:

Yo, Terry! I just noticed a couple things, one of which I'll warn you should be ignored. :biggrin:

You probably remember telling me about your friend who begins looking at an image by examining the perimeter before examining the center. Take a look at the right, top corner of image #3, the court house. Whatever that is, I would prefer seeing more of it or none of it.

The second thing makes me wonder if you are succumbing to the forces of the Dark Side without knowing it :biggrin::

Cameras will do about as good a job of guarding the court house as I did when I guarded the shores of the Potomac River with a clarinet on my shoulder. :biggrin:

If you have to ask me which of those ideas should be ignored, we're both in trouble. :biggrin:

Mike - Thanks for the critique. On the first issue - I completely agree. When I was playing with different rotations, I thought I had eliminated that from the crop. My bad.

On the second, as you may know, the Navy has neither canons nor cannons, so that explains my unfamiliarity with the spelling. :redface: In the first instance, Nikon is the official camera of the US Navy. In the second, we have big guns but no cannons. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom