Fake Nikon accessories

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Leif, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Has anyone come across fake Nikon acessories on FleaBay? I bought a lens cap, and find it does not fit properly. It is not identical to the original, though the packaging was 'the same'. I have contacted Nikon to check.

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a ripoff Nikon 52mm lens cap that came with a used lens I bought. It's ok. Not as nice as the real deal, but it works.

3. I have a few lenses that mounts okay on my Nikon, but the autofocus dosent seem to work, should i be worried...?:eek::biggrin:

4. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    The AF motor always seems to be broken on older lenses. :redface:

5. Zounds Fishy to me Paul:Shocked:

6. Yes, I got a some 52mm center pinch caps that will only fit the lens without a filter, or a hood. I shipped them back, and got a refund!

7. I didn't get this on eBay, but when I got to Thailand in January I realised I had left my battery charger at home. Trying to get a Nikon one in Patong (Phuket) was impossible and I was thinking about how I could one shipped to me from the UK when I passed by a shopping mall on Soi Bangla with adverts for Nikon etc. Inside was a stall selling every type of battery charger imaginable. When I asked if he had an MH-18a he showed me something that looked ok and he assured me it would be. Have to say it has worked fine since then :smile: I cannot remember how much I paid and knowing how well a Thai stall holder can spot desperation in a man I am sure it was OTT, but I have no complaints with the unit.

8. Yes that stuff is out there. You can find some of it here. And I agree with you that it's not even a very good knockoff. I bought the (fake) rear cap because the real one was out of stock and it's not worth the plastic it's made from (well it does fit but only rotates a few degrees before it binds up).

9. Well if Nikon would stop charging so much for such a small piece of plastic , than we would'nt have to buy that crap. Come on Nikon , why $18 for a lens cap , when you can buy a fake for $2 that may or may not work just as well.

10. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Thanks for the replies. Well, it looks as if that stuff is out there. I have yet to hear from Nikon, but the suspect cap is not like my two other 77mm ones.

Exactly, but what annoyed me is that I paid nearly full whack, thinking it was the genuine item, but postage was £2 and not the usual £4 or £5 (for a lens cap for goodness sake) whereas it is probably a cheap knock off.

I think camera companies sell many bodies at low prices, and try to make a return on the accessories, which cost peanuts to make.

11. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Because it's Nikon Bill. Well you know, if you loose one, your at their mercy unless you want a cheap knockoff.

12. Paul...
    cant believe you got ripped off like that... send me those non auto focusing lenses....:biggrin: