1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Falcons Training Camp

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dave, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I went up to take some shots of the Falcon's Training camp this past Saturday morning. All shot with the 80-200 AF-D. Next time I think I'll take my 300 f/4 AF-S. Here are the results.

1) The sign showing this is the home of the Falcons
    [​IMG]

2) Falcons QB of the future, Matt Ryan
    [​IMG]

3) Joe Horn
    [​IMG]

4) D.J. Shockley throwing a pass
    [​IMG]

5) Sam Baker preparing to block
    [​IMG]

6) Jason Rader in motion
    [​IMG]

7) Chris Redman throwing a pass (I think his eyes are closed)
    [​IMG]

8) Erik Coleman and Brent Grimes go up for an interception while defending Harry Douglas
    [​IMG]

9)
    [​IMG]

10) Then the coach got in the way so I missed the actual grab shot of the INT
    [​IMG]

11) Erik Coleman has the ball for the INT
    [​IMG]

12) Joey Harrington fires a pass
    [​IMG]

13) Brian Finneran bobbles...
    [​IMG]

14) Then pulls it in before tumbling out of bounds...
    [​IMG]

15) Matt Ryan cocked and ready to throw
    [​IMG]

16) D.J. Shockley firing a bullet (he has a great arm...needs to work on his accuracy though, a lot like Mike Vick)
    [​IMG]

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks for looking Chris.

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Well, even though it's the Falcons... the pictures turned out nice!

4. Great series I have to get to Eagles camp

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I know Joe...I'm not a huge Falcons fan either, but they are close by with good access. :biggrin:

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting Dave, images like these are a wonderful teaser for the upcoming football season. Nice sequence on the INT.

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Great series Dave. I really enjoy seeing all the training camp shots here.
    These look great. Really nice quality. Looks like a hot day.

8. Good stuff Dave. Will be interesting to see what impact (if any) the rule change has this year (re: both feet in bounds)

9. Good series Dave. They're all nice and sharp, well exposed. The interception shots are wonderful.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Frank. Yes they are a teaser for football...I can't wait to see some high school games shot with the D3/D700!

Thanks Rod. It was a hot day (very humid), but the D300 and 80-200 kept on chugging.

Thanks Chris. So I haven't heard of the rule change...will they only require one foot be down now, or are they keeping it at 2?

Thanks Larry. I'm impressed by the 80-200 and it's ability to keep up with some of the newer lenses. I do notice some CA occasionally on it that would probably be fixed with a newer version, but it is a sharp lens. I liked the Interception shots the best myself. :biggrin:

11. Hey Dave, Wonderful and well done series. I am an Atlanta Falcon and Georgia Bull Dog fan and these just whet my appetite for seeing football season begin.

Unless you did a great deal of cropping I don't see how the 300mm af4 would be an advantage cause these look mighty good.

12. hey Dave, it's a mod to the forceout rule...I read about it here.

Basically, they (receivers) now have to have both feet in bounds, there's no longer a judgment call on the ref's part as to whether they would have come down in bounds if the defender hadn't pushed them out. A few other rule changes mentioned in the article too.

13. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Darrell. I did crop these a bit, but not by much. I would have liked to have the 300mm though so I could have gotten some more sportraits. I don't think I would use it exclusively, but definitely take it in with me, maybe stuffed in my cargo pants pocket. :biggrin:

Ahh, interesting read with the new rule changes. Thanks for the link. I have to get my mind back into football mode now after being in basketball/baseball mode.

14. Hey Dave, great stuff. Seeing these and Glenn's post really puts me in the mood for some football. Can't wait for the season to start. Thanks for sharing these.

15. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Great series! Nice crisp pictures. Bummer on that coach getting in the way on the int shots, that would have made a cool 3-picture poster type thing.

16. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Tyrone...glad to oblige.

Thanks Jordan. I was pretty upset that coach walked right in my way, but that's the way it is...

17. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Hey, Peet. There anyone by the name of Nick King on that roster that you know of?

18. Snap96

Snap96

Jun 18, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Those are some amazing looking pics...gets you in the mood for some football.

Did you happen to get some of "The Burner"....Michael Turner #33? An absolute stud that I wished the Bears went after.

Paul

19. Great pictures Dave! It's funny just the other day I was thinking I should try some sports pics, your shots made me more motivated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.