Falkland Islands

In January next year I will be heading to the Falkland Islands for 2 weeks. The whole trip is already planned and we visit several of the islands where we have a free day on most of them aside from the planned excursions. I will be bringing the following gear:

- D700, D7100
- 24-120/f4, 80-400 AF-S & 85 micro
- CPL, ND filters
- tripod
- rain covers!

I've search the forum but couldn't really find much information so here are my questions:

- Is there a decent book on wildlife (birds, mammals) and plants? I've found one book from 2006 but it is not available here.

- Any must-see places I need to focus on? We have free days in Darwin, Sea Lion island, Saunders island, Carcass island and Volunteer Point (will definitely visit the King penguins here).

- Any other suggestions?

I'll be there in December Kees. I was asked to be on the staff of an Antarctic trip as a photographer, to help guests with their photography, and drive a zodiac to take guests to shore. I'll be giving several workshops on board the ship, and we will do critiques of photos by guests who want critiques. We'll be at sea for 26 days, with at least 17 land excursions. There are 4 photographers in all; one of the reasons I was selected is that I use Nikon gear and the others use Canon.

Please Kees,

keep care of mines...

Klaus

Thanks for the warning! We've been told by several people, including our travel agent, that the islands we visit are "free" of mines but it is best to stick to the tracks.

Have you tried contacting them directly?

http://www.falklands.gov.fk/

Thanks Morty. This was on my todo list and have just done so.

I'll be there in December Kees. I was asked to be on the staff of an Antarctic trip as a photographer, to help guests with their photography, and drive a zodiac to take guests to shore. I'll be giving several workshops on board the ship, and we will do critiques of photos by guests who want critiques. We'll be at sea for 26 days, with at least 17 land excursions. There are 4 photographers in all; one of the reasons I was selected is that I use Nikon gear and the others use Canon.

Wow, lucky man! It really pays of to shoot Nikon :) Have fun!

We will only be visiting the Falklands and hope to avoid the cruise crowd as much as possible. For example we arrive at Volunteer Point (King Penguins) in the afternoon and have the full next day to visit the colony. Thus we hope to avoid the crowds that are arriving by cruise here (and at other places) as the number of landlocked visitors is small, even those visiting from Darwin or Stanley.

Latest threads

Top Bottom