Fall migration at Reifel Bird Sanctuary

Hi All,

The snow geese are migrating down the West Coast. As usual, the Fraser River outer estuary is full of Snow Geese and other wonderful birds. It was a windy day and they were out in the water enjoying breakfast when the local bald eagles started to shake things up for the photographers.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#1 Nikon D850 with 500PF lens. 1/2500 f5.6 iso 560 A Bald Eagle flies overhead and causes the snow geese to take to the wing

#2 Nikon D850 with 500PF lens. 1/2500 f5.6 iso 560 A bit of a tighter shot

#3 Nikon D850 with 500PF lens. 1/2500 f5.6 iso 560

#4 Nikon D850 with 500PF lens. 1/2500 f5.6 iso 560

#5 Nikon D850 with 500PF lens with 1.4 TCIII (700mm). 1/600 f iso 460 A flock of trumpeter swans pass through.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" there are millions of these birds... I would have counted them but counting geese makes me fall asleep..." - Georgie Beagle

wow very cool set
that looks like more than Bosque
Yes, there were a lot of birds, it was windy as it was a moment of clearing between two rain storms so I think the birds were concentrated on the shoreline. The salt marsh between the birds and the dyke I was on is a restricted area so I couldn't get closer. Thanks Randy for the kind words.

Alexis!
Be careful breathing in... :wideyed: :cool: :D

Kind regards
Klaus
Klaus the air was full of Snow Geese and the bald eagles kept stirring them up. The snow geese have been coming through the area since mid dDecember but this was the largest group have seen. YVR is a few miles as the goose flies north of Reifel so I think they have real concerns this time of year.

Real Name
Ken
Did you bring your earplugs? The first time I heard a flock that large suddenly take off I was amazed at how loud they were. Truly an amazing site! Nice images.

--Ken

Wow! And blue skies too! Seems like a ultra wide lens should be your next purchase :D

Hi Nick, thanks for the Wow! The blue sky was from a break between two rain storms and only lasted a few hours. Georgie is thinking of getting a snorkel for her walks as it is so wet up here. A wind angle would be needed to capture the whole flock as it went on for about 1/2 a mile.

Like them all, but 2 the most. Amazing they can fly so close to each other.
Hi Allan, Thanks for the kind words, yes #2 shows how close they can fly together, I am always amazed they can be that coordinated.

Did you bring your earplugs? The first time I heard a flock that large suddenly take off I was amazed at how loud they were. Truly an amazing site! Nice images.

--Ken
the noise is really awesome. You could hear the birds from the parking lot over a mile away. Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"there were a billion of them...." - Georgie Beagle

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom