Fall Migration on the Virginia Eastern Shore

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by MParker, Jun 19, 2007.

1. I am hosting a long weekend shoot this fall on the Virginia eastern shore during the fall bird migration. It's open to anyone in the area or to anyone who would like to make the trip to experience it. We can talk about the dates but, late Sep. to mid-Oct. is probably best. In fact, I'll propose two weekends but am open to suggestions:

1 - Oct 5-7. 2007.
    2 - Oct 12-14, 2007
    On either weekend I'll be there from Thursday night through Monday afternoon.

I can research some good spots I've not been to or, some tried and true places I know about. My weekend place is near the southern tip of the 'shore' in the town of Cape Charles, an old railroad town and ferry stop before the Chesapeak Bridge-Tunnel was built. The condo is surrounded by two signature golf courses built by Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus. I can, of course, arrange tee times for you if you bring your sticks. The town has a nice beach and a few good places to eat.

Some ideas for making good use of our time (in no particular order):
    - Chincoteague and Assateague are about an hour away
    - Birds
    - Atlantic side sunrises
    - Birds
    - Chesapeake side sunsets
    - State bird and wildlife refuges wihin minutes
    - NWR within minutes
    - Fall Colors
    - Birds
    - A few historic towns with limited but very real opportunities
    - Unique landscape photography, the highest natural elevation on the shore is about 25 feet.
    - And ... did I mention there are lots of birds?!?

If sleeping bags are OK (bring your own) then my place is available, first come first served on the two extra beds. Hotels, motels, and B&Bs are available. I'll provide a list later. Meanwhile, a lile teaser ... www.pbase.com/cameraguy21773/eshore

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Any one in the region who enjoys wildlife, scenics, good company, or golf should make this. I was Mike's guest last fall and had a GREAT time. The Eastern Shore is loaded with wonderful and varied subject matter and Mike is a gracious host. This is not to be missed! Most of the shots here are from last year's event.

Mike, I've penciled in both weekends and I'll be there barring a catastrophe.

3. This is indeed tempting. I will surely try to attend.

4. Dave just gave me a heads up on this. You can count me in.

John

5. Colby

Colby

Nov 18, 2006
    Crownsville, MD
    Dave also gave me a heads up. It is one of my favorite places to photograph. I will come if at all possible. Look forward to the details later. Thanks.

6. Bring cookies!:smile:

7. Count me in!

Thanks, Rich

8. Thanks all for the interest. Please specify a date that's good for you and we'll settle on the one most often mentioned.

I'll publish a list (and links where possible) of places to stay in the area in a few days.

9. Dave, thanks for the heads up too! Mike, this sounds fantastic!! I will check my calendar.

10. The ones with my special ingredients for your glaucoma? :smile:

11. I can easily do either. My wife now has my D80. I gave it to her to justify my D200 (and well gadzeeks she is using it). Is there room for 2?

12. Actually, I was thinking of chocolate chips.:biggrin:

Mike, either weekend is good for me.

13. Chocolate chips it is! We will be busy. We are going to Nice the first week of September.

14. Yay -- sounds like a good crowd is gathering! Somebody alert Jim Strathearn to this, too...

15. I already did, Connie. Looks like he has a conflict.:frown: Too bad, he'd love it.

16. Well, darn!!! He may be planning to go shooting elk or moose again.... I remember when we were on the porch, he was talking about that with Mark.
    I didn't pay attention to the time frame mentioned, though....

17. Of course!

18. Chocolate chip cookies.... MMMmmmm! :smile:

OK, the only problem with this plan so far is that it's got me thinking in a direction which I thought maybe I'd laid aside..... 500mm lens..... I keep trying to remind myself that I've got and love the wonderful 300mm f/2.8 VR and if I were to buy a 500mm lens, well, that would wind up sitting in the camera bag as I can only handle one camera body/lens on the Wimberley at a time with another camera body/lens (hopefully lighter weight) slung around my neck....there is NO way I can handhold the 300mm f/2.8 -- tried that a couple of times and, well, it's no-go. Therefore, it is not going to be casually slung around my neck while the 500mm rests on the Wimberley..... I can and have done this successfully with the 300mm f/2.8 on the tripod and the 70-200mm VR or the 300mm f/4 around my neck..... I am NOT going to buy another set of Gitzo legs and another Wimberley gimbal head and be trying to operate two lenses at the same time that way....

Aside from my lens angst, I am looking forward to this! I think it could be such a super time!

19. You could leave the 500 at my place and come visit it anytime you like. :rolleyes: