Falling upwards...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PJohnP, Sep 25, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Autumn's my favourite season, without question. And this week brought rapid changes in the Sangre de Christo mountains, as the aspens transformed in less than two days in many of the groves.

Scientists theorise that aspen groves constitute one large organism, and that's how they tend to change colour, grove by grove. Two groves in close proximity, but not linked, may not change at anywhere close to the same time, or... they might change simultaneously.

One normally gets photos of the groves from afar, a blaze of light against a hillside. Hillsides of yellow in sunset are the photo de jour here in New Mexico.

But I savour the moments among the aspens, the leaves falling with a gentle rustle to the ground, the branches squeaking overhead as they rub, and the grove making a subtle low sound, not unlike a slow stream flowing over rocks. The loam and fallen leaves have a soft and almost warmly intoxicating aroma, especially so when one lies down and places their head on the ground to look above.

[​IMG]
    D100, 12-24mm AFS, ISO200, 1/125s, f/11

And in an instant, they begin to fall upwards to a cerulian pool surrounded by gold.

Always shoot.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  2. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    that's a truly fantastic shot John!

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh!!!

That is super good John! I had to catch my breath as I scrolled down onto the picture. That little pine tree looks lost, huh? When you said that scientists theorize that a grove is a single organism, does that mean that they share some roots, kinda like grass? Or are they suggesting some sort of 'Sheldrake-ian' connection like that between a mother and child, or a dog and it's human?

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Angelo :

Thanks for the good thought. It was a wonderful couple of hours in the grove.

John P.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris :

AFAIK, one theory has to do with roots and interconnections, while another actually posits that all of the trees form one organism in and of itself.

Thanks for the good thoughts...

John P.

6. John , how beautiful it must have been to look up and see this. You really composed this shot exquitely.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Virginia :

Sometimes we can't capture with the camera what our eyes see, but this was a magical moment, one of the more peaceful times I've had in many months. We don't call this "The Land of Enchantment" without good reason.

I should have noted in my first post that this shot was uncropped, and only minorly processed in NC, with the only PS-CS2 activity to add the copyright note. That's the view I got - I just point the camera and hope a bit !

Thanks for the compliment.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  8. Very nice upward view.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow, what an expansive and unique perspective John. Cool shot!

10. Very nice John. This perspective can lead to some great shots as you have exhibited.
    Dave

11. Fantastic shot John!!!!!!!
    The angle, the colors, the frame... all are f a n t a s t i c ... make me miss autumn...
    I know, I know it's nearly October, but over here it's over 90F (~30+C) and we still feel the ...heat every day :wink:
    So, I better hit the beach... :smile:

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

Well, that 12-24mm lens is just a treat to shoot with.

And I do like looking at things from, shall we say, "a different angle".

John P.

13. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Panos :

Well, it's about 84ºF here right now, but it was 48ºF when I woke up this morning.

Sadly, though, no beaches nearby for me to visit. :frown:

John P.

14. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    The photo has as much beauty as your poetic words...As I read, I was transported into the shot and actually experienced it...the sights, the sounds...Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

15. I feel beamed up ! I think you made the essence of that type of composition and that your pict could figure in a photography dictionnary to illustrate it.

16. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Leigh :

Thanks for the kind comments.

It's always interesting to try to capture the image of a moment - I try so often and don't reach that goal, alas ! - but also to explain the other senses and how they all create a larger impression is equally difficult. Some moments are fleeting, sublime, but also strikingly imbedded in memory once passed.

I'm glad that I was able to share a small part of that with you.

John P.

17. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Christian :

Thanks so much for the compliment !

John P.

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi John P.

Thats is one outrageous image ! It brought a big smile to my face. Thanks for posting.

Regards

RFC

19. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    RFC :

We do what we can to make people smile !

Thanks for the compliment.

John P.

20. John:

This image is just great. I can't begin to even describe the feeling something like this creates in me. I think you have the composition issue well in hand, my friend.

Gil