Falls Mill, Belvidere Tennessee

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PGB, Aug 27, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    The family and I took a little road trip today to Tennessee. We decided to go to Falls Mill. The mill was built in 1873 and is the largest, working water wheel believed to still be in full operation in the US today. Here are a few shots from the trip.

33723890-O.

33723623-O.

33723546-O.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Patrick

Very beautiful...

Do you have a full view.....

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Very easy on the eye shots, a pleasure to look at these.

Nice work.

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Dont know what it is about Old Mills ,But they always intrigue me . This one looks like a nice one.

5. Loos like a very nice place to spend some time with the family. And I'm glad to see you going out and shooting. Was a bit worried that the upgrading was taking up too much of your time.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Looks like you had a lot of fun today.. Nice photos Patrick

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm a little dissapointed with the first two as they are not as sharp as I would have liked and it seems I have a bit of a sun flare in the center of the picture. I'm still learning so any critiques would be helpful.

It was nice being out with my wife and kids today. We had a really nice time and this place is on our list to go back to in the fall.

Regards,

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Addressing your PP tech

Love the shots, those old mills are so cool and nostalgic. It appears as though the light might've been a little bit flat. What I tried with one of your images was running a Digital Velvia Action on it, stopping at level 3, but I could'a went to 4 I think. I can send you the DV Action if you wanna try it. You might also try doing a Local Contrast on it too, then sharpen once again. Kind'a hard to tell what you did focus on exactly. Did you have good shutter speeds? There's no exif saved, so I can't use my fave IE tool my EXIF Show.

9. What a neat place Patrick. This is one of the better looking mills I have seen and you have really captured it well. Interesting perspective on that last shot.

10. The last picture, the view from above the wheel is really great, which lens did you use?

11. n
    Nice series Patrick. This seems like a great place to spend time.

Gil

12. Patrick,

Very nice. I have to agree with Gilles, my favorite is #3.

How about more contrast ?

13. Patrick,

You have outdone yourself with these pictures!! Well done my friend!!

14. Patrick, really enjoyed the series! Most of all your perspective and compositions.......... some seem to have a green cast, I played with one, so I hope you dont mind, played with levels and a tad of sharpening :rolleyes:
    What beautiful scenery, looks very serene!!! Nice captures Patrick

before
    33723890-O.

after
    original.

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the reply's. Keith your version is indeed better. With yours and Steve's critiques I have attempted to try this again.

The first one was pp'd by me using my standard workflow with the edition of FM's Digital Velvia.

The second one leigh post processed for me.

mine
    33867967-O.

Leigh's
    33868030-O.

16. Hi Patrick -

I really like these! The combination of the trees blending with the ivy, and the waterfall makes that wheel seem huge and massive!

Very nice shots of a beautiful spot.

Eric

17. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Patrick

At first I was going to say I only liked number three, but after seeing some further processing, (don't tell leigh, :wink: but I like your second attempt better) i like #2 tool The crop you did is perfect in my opinion.

Many times I have an image which at first seems eh, and frustrating, but after further work turns into a keeper.

You have two great keepers,

Bravo,

Wade

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    This is an excellent improvement of a good shot that had some hidden potential waiting to be unlocked. Nice gong Patrick!

19. Wonderful images, great color. I wonder how they would look in the fall.

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Would love to see this in person

Your pictures have whetted my appetite to see the location in person. Your pictures are very pleasing. My favorite is the 2nd one.