Family Farm at Vigur Island, Isafjord Bay, Iceland

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Jun 27, 2007.

1. After the long hike at Hornstrandir Cliffs, we had a four-hour sail (and lunch :wink:) to get to a little island with a single farm on it, Vigur Island, Isafjord Bay, Iceland. This family harvests bird eggs, birds, eider down, and raises sheep when the eider are not nesting. They also do some fishing.

[​IMG]

They have the only surviving windmill in Iceland:
    [​IMG]

The mainland is certainly sculpted when viewed from their island:
    [​IMG]

They served tea and cakes at the farmhouse, the yellow buildings:
    [​IMG]

I'll put the Eider and Puffin photos in Birds.
    Bob & Nan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Iceland is very beautiful
    You have shown it well

3. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    This brings back memories, I was there last summer. Even thought this looks pretty remote they do have electricity via an under water cable from the mainland. I spent some time talking to the farmer and he was a real nice guy and spoke very good english.

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Beautiful shots, Thanks for sharing.

5. Hi Bruce,

I suspect the same fellow led us around. I know they showed us the marker where the electric cable came across from the mainland. He said they now have added high-speed internet access:cool: Just like the big city!

Bob & Nan

6. WOW All your threads of Iceland are incredible. Talk about seclusion in this one. Magnificent