Family pictures

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by panda81, Aug 12, 2008.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
  2. IMO, these are quite nice overall.

A little cropping and PP should make these terrific.

white balance is off in several of these. look at #6 for a healthy vivid color.
    I would take #6 as the example for good type impactful cropping.

Aim for 4 x 5 aspect ratio for anything larger than 4"x 6" pictures. Much cheaper for print and frame.

3. nice shots
    a couple of points:

EVERY PICTURE on the DIAGONAL is NOT pleasing to the eye
    mix it up a bit

i DO like the image
    #2 doesn't do anything for me with the selective color of the lipstick.... others may feel differently

#1 could use a bit more saturation, i believe

i think that you did well

4. Jerry,

You've done a nice job with focus, capturing some loving interaction, and having them nicely dressed (i.e. clothing isn't distracting from shots). :smile: I see differences in white balance, especially as seen in skin tones.....they are too cool in 1, 4, 5 and 8. I would also add some levels and an s-curve curves layer to 1 and 8.

I like my BW really punchy, so I'd tune up #2 a bit (if you have a high res original, I'd be happy to play and see what you think).

Overall, I think you've done a nice job, and I'm sure they'll be very happy with them. These do NOT look like family BBQ snapshots, you're off to a good start. :smile:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice images. I would like to see a little more saturation and warmth in the images, but I think you did a nice job. I especially like #6.

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the comments everyone! For all of the pictures except #6, I actually decreased the saturation and increased contrast (with curves) on purpose to try out that effect. I think I screwed up the overall color tone of the pictures when I did that, which is probably why the white balance looks different between pictures.

I'm not being defensive, but I was just experimenting with a new post process technique. Based on most of the comments thus far about increasing saturation, it seems like most people here don't really like that effect too much - is that pretty much correct?

Again, thanks for all the comments so far :smile: Much appreciated!

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Think you did a good job overall. My only nit-pick is the selective coloring...it doesn't work in this image. JMHOFWIW.

8. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks, Lew! That's definitely a good point about the crops...I'm not good with cropping pictures. If you have the time, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an example or two about how to crop better.

Thanks Greg :smile: Rest assured, not every picture is a diagonal, I definitely agree with you. I think I just happen to like diagonal pictures more, so I happen to post those up.

Thanks for the input, Gretchen :smile: I think most of the issues you mentioned were the PP issues I mentioned in the previous post as well...I guess it isn't as appealing, but it was worth an attempt :smile:

Thanks Francis :smile: It definitely seems like the processing in #6 is most popular!

9. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Seneca :smile: You and Greg are probably right, selective coloring for this picture probably isn't terribly effective.

10. Funnily enough I really liked #2 the most , especially the selective colouring .

11. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    #2 really gets me, because of the look on his face. To me, his expression is smug, saying "My mommy loooooooooooooves me"

Cute shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.