Family pictures

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by panda81, Aug 12, 2008.

1. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
  2. IMO, these are quite nice overall.

A little cropping and PP should make these terrific.

white balance is off in several of these. look at #6 for a healthy vivid color.
    I would take #6 as the example for good type impactful cropping.

Aim for 4 x 5 aspect ratio for anything larger than 4"x 6" pictures. Much cheaper for print and frame.

3. nice shots
    a couple of points:

EVERY PICTURE on the DIAGONAL is NOT pleasing to the eye
    mix it up a bit

i DO like the image
    #2 doesn't do anything for me with the selective color of the lipstick.... others may feel differently

#1 could use a bit more saturation, i believe

i think that you did well

4. Jerry,

You've done a nice job with focus, capturing some loving interaction, and having them nicely dressed (i.e. clothing isn't distracting from shots). :smile: I see differences in white balance, especially as seen in skin tones.....they are too cool in 1, 4, 5 and 8. I would also add some levels and an s-curve curves layer to 1 and 8.

I like my BW really punchy, so I'd tune up #2 a bit (if you have a high res original, I'd be happy to play and see what you think).

Overall, I think you've done a nice job, and I'm sure they'll be very happy with them. These do NOT look like family BBQ snapshots, you're off to a good start. :smile:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice images. I would like to see a little more saturation and warmth in the images, but I think you did a nice job. I especially like #6.

6. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the comments everyone! For all of the pictures except #6, I actually decreased the saturation and increased contrast (with curves) on purpose to try out that effect. I think I screwed up the overall color tone of the pictures when I did that, which is probably why the white balance looks different between pictures.

I'm not being defensive, but I was just experimenting with a new post process technique. Based on most of the comments thus far about increasing saturation, it seems like most people here don't really like that effect too much - is that pretty much correct?

Again, thanks for all the comments so far :smile: Much appreciated!

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Think you did a good job overall. My only nit-pick is the selective coloring...it doesn't work in this image. JMHOFWIW.

8. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks, Lew! That's definitely a good point about the crops...I'm not good with cropping pictures. If you have the time, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing an example or two about how to crop better.

Thanks Greg :smile: Rest assured, not every picture is a diagonal, I definitely agree with you. I think I just happen to like diagonal pictures more, so I happen to post those up.

Thanks for the input, Gretchen :smile: I think most of the issues you mentioned were the PP issues I mentioned in the previous post as well...I guess it isn't as appealing, but it was worth an attempt :smile:

Thanks Francis :smile: It definitely seems like the processing in #6 is most popular!

9. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Seneca :smile: You and Greg are probably right, selective coloring for this picture probably isn't terribly effective.

10. Funnily enough I really liked #2 the most , especially the selective colouring .

11. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    #2 really gets me, because of the look on his face. To me, his expression is smug, saying "My mommy loooooooooooooves me"

Cute shots