1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Family portrait at the Sand Dunes

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Terri French, Sep 7, 2008.

1. We have some sand dunes a couple of miles away from where I live. Lately, I've seen some portraits taken there. My daughter and her family wanted to go there for a family portrait. The conditions were really nice.

The only problem was the twins did not want to sit for pictures. They just wanted to play in the sand. So, the photos of them are not great, but we knew they would be difficult and felt that if they were in the picture it was about all we could expect.

I used the sb800 on a lightstand that was to my right. I didn't use any light modifiers for the flash other than the diffuser that came with the flash. The light was constantly changing as there were a few clouds to the west that the sun kept moving in and out of.

Also, we took some photos of the family playing in the sand after the more formal portraits. I will post some of those in the people forum.

Here are their favorites.

original.

View attachment 248498

View attachment 248499

View attachment 248500

View attachment 248501

2. Great photos, especially the photo of your daughter and her hubby. First photo is wonderful too, but the youngsters were interested in something to the side and were not looking at the camera.

3. nshape

nshape

Jul 25, 2006
    NB Canada
    gorgeous family...love the shots.

4. Great series! Beautiful family.

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I am sure they are very pleased - you have some beautiful images (beautiful family too!)

6. Very nice set of pics Terri! You did a good job balancing the light. Love the toes shot... :biggrin:

7. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    As always Terri wonderful portraits. Are these the the sanddunes by st anthony? If they are i have been there many times while going to school in rexburg.

8. Thanks Charles. The twins were so naughty about getting their photos taken. I know they weren't looking at the camera, but in almost every other one they were crying. Maybe in a year or so they will be better about it!!

Thanks, LeeAnn and Anthony.

9. Thank you.

They are really happy with the photos so it makes me glad to have been able to do it for them.

Actually, the light was very easy to work with. Wish it was always that nice.

10. I've actually never been to the St. Anthony Sand Dunes. This is just a small dune near Idaho Falls. It took a few minutes for me to get there, so I will probably shoot there again.

11. Terri, any time I see you've posted family photos, I know I'm in for a treat. This shot is my fave. It looks like the result of a professional model shoot.

12. fyreflie24

fyreflie24

Jun 24, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    that's some rough balancing Terri, but you nailed it.

13. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I think the pics are great! Great job!

14. What a great location. You were blessed with wonderful light and that combined with your photography yielded some
    fantastic family portraits.

Don

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    These are great, you're going to have to teach me how to do beach shoots now. lol

16. Great place for family pictures Terri and you nailed them. Love the feet shot.

17. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    gorgeous family and gorgeous photos

18. Very nice pictures. Beautiful family you have there, you're very lucky!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.