Family Portrait Fiasco

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terri French, May 14, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Today the kids were here for Mother's Day. Amber and Jason came dressed for me to try to get a family portrait of them........

Much easier said than done.

Jason's face says it all. He is such a darling son-in-law and is a great sport about his family situation right now.

Other than the first photo, these are unedited.

The best we could do. Not great but better than nothing.

original.

The rejects....... (plus about 2 dozen more).

View attachment 95486

View attachment 95487

View attachment 95488

2. Absolutely gorgeous, both the photography and the subjects! These are wonderful pictures Terri, you will be so happy to have them in the future. :smile:

3. Great pictures

Great pictures, I really like the first one, simply amazing ... I like the 3rd one as well, just neat. :smile:

4. Winniman

Winniman

Dec 19, 2006
    Canada
    Nice work, family portrait always sweet. btw, husband looks getting tired tho~

5. Ciao Terri
    why do you talk about a "fiasco"? I don't know your slang there but here fiasco means a flop, something which was much worse than expectations.. The first and the last (to be still edited) are beautiful, as for the middle ones, well you can't expect that babies or people have always open eyes and smiling lips... At the end, I guess they need only one or two shots to frame to memory this time, not ten... :)

Don't worry, you did a good job.

6. LOL Terri!
    It seems impossible for kids to remain still for such photos. OTOH, many years from now, this series will still be an appreciated family entertainment.

Cheers

7. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    You're kidding about the portraits being fiascos, right? They are wonderful candid portraits, showing a real family in a real family setting. The first one is a classic, and those twins are precious!

Well done!

8. What a sweet and wonderful "comedy of errors".

9. Smashing pictures Terri... all of them. It's nice to have pictures of your loved ones in every mood. Some family albums seem just full of smiling machines. These are pictures of real people.

10. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Terri, I like them all and congradulations on taking on a daunting challenge. I guess (for me, at least) one of the hardest things to do is photograph several small children PLUS adults. It's difficult to get everyone 'looking' their best in the shot. It's usually very helpful to have an assistant who is standing just behind you at the camera position and doing everything in their power to get the kids looking and smiling in the right direction, and that includes standing on their head if that's what it takes. Funny hats also.
    That said, I like your pictures and they'll be a keepsake for years to come!
    Jarrell

11. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    This is what you should do...Print them all out as 6x8's and tick them in a series next to each other all in tight black frames. :smile:

12. Jeffx2

Jeffx2

May 2, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Very nice work.

I believe you've run into the usual portrait time equation:

(15 minutes x Adults)^Children = Time it will take to get one frame where everyone is smiling and has their eyes open.

13. Great lighting Terri. Anyone who has tried to photograph kids feels your pain. :wink: I know I do...

14. Isn't that frustrating to try and get a family grouping with active kids and parents trying to control them. You did very well Terri and certainly #1 is keeper and my favorite.

15. I love the butt shot in #3 -lol!

I can laugh because I just went through the same thing on Sunday. I only hope the client has a sense of humor.

Other than mom having her eyes closed, child #1 refusing to look at the camera, and child #2 checking on her manicure, this was a perfect shot :rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  16. I hate photographing groups, but it is good cut/paste practice... I just did a family portrait and wound up pasting lips, faces, eyes... you name it to get one where everyone looked human... and they didn't like anything.

No more of that.

17. Arif

Arif Guest

Hi Terri,
    If photographs bring people together and if the photograph reminds them of fond moments, then I am sure your photographs are winners ;)

You have a wonderful family and you must eb very proud ;)

Wish you many joys in life,
    Arif

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Well, except for the first one, they are good for a laugh. Getting a two year old to sit still is impossible.

Thanks. Glad you liked the first one. We are thinking that I should post process one of the duds as well. My daughter says that they are reflective of what her life is like right now--just go with the flow!

He is getting tired. They've had five hard months with the twins. But it is getting better every day.

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I guess it wasn't a fiasco after all. We are getting a good laugh out of the duds and it is a memory of their lively little family. Thanks.

We are already laughing about the photos. It's just the way their life is right now.

The twins are so precious. I think the photos are fun, even if they aren't "framed above the fireplace mantle" worthy.

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Glad you folks liked my efforts. We tried. My daughter thinks that the duds are funny. Her life is like that right now, she can either laugh or cry at her situation and most days she just laughs and is happy.

BTW, Jarrell. My daughter did try to help me keep the attention of the kids. My little two year old grandson is just so darn busy!