Family Room Rehab Almost Done!!

Real Name
Ken St John
I've been very busy over the past few weeks doing a pretty substantial rehab of our family room. I don't have a lot of good photos of the "before" since most of the time any of the pictures are filled with family and friends, but this one only has a friend's young son from about 5 years ago ...
Christmas 2015 54.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This was at the beginning of the process, new paint ...
FR Rehab and Snow-5.jpg

And, now for the big reveal ...
FR Rehab 6-14.jpg

I still have some trim to repaint and put back down, as well as a so-far untouched corner behind me that needs to be repainted, but overall we are very happy. We've needed extra storage for a long time, and this seems to fit the bill. I made the floating shelves from some old growth sequoia boards I found at a local sawmill.

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Beautiful! You are hired! Did you build those cabinets? Great looking room and very functional.
Ha! I seriously doubt you could afford my hourly rate for work outside my home!! :D:D

Actually, these are Home Depot's "in stock" kitchen cabinets repurposed for use in the room. I may be developing some woodworking skills ... but I'm nowhere near able to cabinetry!! Seriously, using these was a really cost effective solution. The countertops are also from HD and came as unfinished birch butcher block. I used a dark color stain ... and voila!!

Ken

Last edited:
Ha! I seriously doubt you could afford my hourly rate for work outside my home!! :D:D

Actually, these are Home Depot's "in stock" kitchen cabinets repurposed for use in the room. I may be developing some woodworking skills ... but I'm no where near able to cabinetry!! Seriously, using these was a really cost effective solution. The countertops are also from HD and came as unfinished birch butcher block. I used a dark color stain ... and voila!!

Ken
You have a good eye to put that together. I can make some pieces but work and family (other hobbies) keep me from those projects.

My dad was an old fashioned civil engineer and builder that was super handy. He could do almost any mechanical repair or task. When he retired, he put together a great woodworking shop. He built us some beautiful furniture over the years. He would say based on the number of hours he had on a project, he would net $.50/hour!!

Real Name
Mike
I've been very busy over the past few weeks doing a pretty substantial rehab of our family room. I don't have a lot of good photos of the "before" since most of the time any of the pictures are filled with family and friends, but this one only has a friend's young son from about 5 years ago ...
View attachment 1679844
This was at the beginning of the process, new paint ...
View attachment 1679845
And, now for the big reveal ... View attachment 1679846
I still have some trim to repaint and put back down, as well as a so-far untouched corner behind me that needs to be repainted, but overall we are very happy. We've needed extra storage for a long time, and this seems to fit the bill. I made the floating shelves from some old growth sequoia boards I found at a local sawmill.

Cheers!!

Ken
Nice work. By the time I got to the last photo I was expecting and integrated HT system too.

Real Name
Ken St John
Nice work. By the time I got to the last photo I was expecting and integrated HT system too.

Thought about going all in on a HT setup, but the fact is my hearing is not that good anymore!! Did upgrade to a nice Bose soundbar that really fills the room nicely.

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Update - we're "done"!! Finished up floor trim, the last corner, and touching up the inevitable paint flaws. Ready to just sit back and watch TV for a while!!
FR Rehab Final-13.jpg

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom