1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Family shoot with 85 1.4/35 2

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Kemnik, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I was commissioned to do a kid/family shoot for a family before they head back to Cambodia. Here are some results. Even though I did use the 35 for the LARGE group shots, I found myself running like a football player to get far enough to use the 85 1.4 and just loved it!!! And by the way, the Nikon CLS system fired perfectly 20 feet away in daylight no problems. Although one thing I do when using two flash heads is turn the right one backwards, then swivel the head back forward, so both IR windows are facing inwards towards me.

2910562295_0624c88013_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 263014

View attachment 263015

View attachment 263016

View attachment 263017

2910567999_0fd5f9c9b5_b.png

View attachment 263019

View attachment 263020

View attachment 263021

View attachment 263022

2. I liked #6 the most !

3. Congratulations on the gig, Kurt. Are you using LR2 presets, or creating your own?

4. Memories to last a lifetime. Those are great, Kurt

5. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Desmond!

Thanks Frank. I'm using my own presents. I think I sent you some via e-mail; did you get them? But sometimes, I'll take a pres-set from others and modify it or use it as a staring point. You'll find there is only so much you can do in LR so many of the presets are similar so I just use them as a starting point. If I like what I did, I save it as my own version of something. The one exception here is the one with burn't edges which was a LR preset + texture in photoshop (before my hard drive went wonky). Most of these are out of camera + standard RAW processing like contrast, saturation, exposure, white balance, etc.

Thanks!

6. the first and last ones are excellent! The second to last picture is also really cool. It makes me think of a picture that maybe their parents or grandparents might have taken.

7. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, I agree about the old look to it.

8. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are awesome Kurt. I'd imagine the family was happy.

9. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thaks Fred, they were pleased. I'm happy I didn't sell your lens. It is turning out to be quite the money maker. Even when it is not convenient, I try to use it.

10. Great work Kurt! #5 is outstanding, what a little beauty!!

11. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Sonya!!

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

WOW!
    :biggrin:

13. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Obi Wan Nute. It was not at 1.4 Please don't be mad. :biggrin:

14. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Very Well Done!!!

15. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Hi, very nice, you used two flashes ? Can you explain what you did with the set-up ? I'd love to know

16. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks!

Thanks!

I did, the setup is essentially an SB800 camera left on a stand shooting through a 40 something inch umbrella. Flashes are set on remote mode, using Nikon CLS. SB600 camera right (head 180 degrees swivel so IR receptical is facing inward) shooting through a similar umbrella on stand. Both set to 1/2 power. On the camera end I have the D300's on board pop up flash set to commander mode and adjust the two remote flashes (group A and B) output on the back of the LCD screen. In manual mode, I start with the shutter at 1/250th (max shutter sync) and aperture to something I prefer for depth of field. I then check the meter for the scene's exposure in manual mode, matrix metering, without the group in the sho and see where I'm at. The goal here is to underexpose the background by a stop or so (salt to taste here). I do this by moving around the shutter if possible. I try to stay above 1/100th and below the max sync speed. If needed I can adjust ISO or aperture too. I then adjust flash output or aperture as needed for subject exposure. In the shade, usually at ISO 100, 1/2 power is around F8 and 1/4 power F5.6 or there about, depending on the light modifier, etc. During the shoot, I can adjust shutter slower if I want more ambient light. If it is faster than needed, the background goes darker (it doesn't affect the subject exposure).

Here is an example of the same setup at a different shoot, followed by an image with the results. The latter image is merely testing whether the light is exhibiting fall off at the edges (wanted to ensure my entire group is lit well).

2897167145_bd2b1e771c_b.png

View attachment 263025

Hope this helps.

17. Incredible series! #5 is my favorite.

18. dx379

dx379

Jul 9, 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Those are absolutely wonderful pictures. I hope they are very happy with them. I certainly would be. :smile:

Jonny

19. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks!

Thanks.

Side note:

One thing that is interesting after looking at the light setup shot, is that you can clearly see a patch of light behind the umbrellas demonstrating just how much light spills from the backs of the umbrellas. The implication here is that you'd be better off from an efficiency standpoint if you are low on power to use a softbox, brolly box, or umbrellas with removable backs to keep the light going in the right direction. That may be obvious to some, but thought this image demonstrated it well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.