Famous April Fools Day Hoaxes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by photogfellow, Mar 29, 2007.

1. photogfellow

photogfellow Guest

Here are 10 of the top April Fool's Day pranks ever pulled off, as judged by the San Diego-based Museum of Hoaxes for their notoriety, absurdity, and number of people duped.

-- In 1957, a BBC television show announced that thanks to a mild winter and the virtual elimination of the spaghetti weevil, Swiss farmers were enjoying a bumper spaghetti crop. Footage of Swiss farmers pulling strands of spaghetti from trees prompted a barrage of calls from people wanting to know how to grow their own spaghetti at home.

-- In 1985, Sports Illustrated magazine published a story that a rookie baseball pitcher who could reportedly throw a ball at 270 kilometers per hour (168 miles per hour) was set to join the New York Mets. Finch was said to have mastered his skill -- pitching significantly faster than anyone else has ever managed -- in a Tibetan monastery. Mets fans' celebrations were short-lived.

-- Sweden in 1962 had only one television channel, which broadcast in black and white. The station's technical expert appeared on the news to announce that thanks to a newly developed technology, viewers could convert their existing sets to receive color pictures by pulling a nylon stocking over the screen. In fact, they had to wait until 1970.

-- In 1996, American fast-food chain Taco Bell announced that it had bought Philadelphia's Liberty Bell, a historic symbol of American independence, from the federal government and was renaming it the Taco Liberty Bell.

Outraged citizens called to express their anger before Taco Bell revealed the hoax. Then-White House press secretary Mike McCurry was asked about the sale and said the Lincoln Memorial in Washington had also been sold and was to be renamed the Ford Lincoln Mercury Memorial after the automotive giant.

-- In 1977, British newspaper The Guardian published a seven-page supplement for the 10th anniversary of San Serriffe, a small republic located in the Indian Ocean consisting of several semicolon-shaped islands. A series of articles described the geography and culture of the two main islands, named Upper Caisse and Lower Caisse.

-- In 1992, US National Public Radio announced that Richard Nixon was running for president again. His new campaign slogan was, "I didn't do anything wrong, and I won't do it again." They even had clips of Nixon announcing his candidacy. Listeners flooded the show with calls expressing their outrage. Nixon's voice actually turned out to be that of impersonator Rich Little.

-- In 1998, a newsletter titled New Mexicans for Science and Reason carried an article that the state of Alabama had voted to change the value of pi from 3.14159 to the "Biblical value" of 3.0.

-- Burger King, another American fast-food chain, published a full-page advertisement in USA Today in 1998 announcing the introduction of the "Left-Handed Whopper," specially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. According to the advertisement, the new burger included the same ingredients as the original, but the condiments were rotated 180 degrees. The chain said it received thousands of requests for the new burger, as well as orders for the original "right-handed" version.

-- Discover Magazine announced in 1995 that a highly respected biologist, Aprile Pazzo (Italian for April Fool), had discovered a new species in Antarctica: the hotheaded naked ice borer. The creatures were described as having bony plates on their heads that became burning hot, allowing the animals to bore through ice at high speed -- a technique they used to hunt penguins.

-- Noted British astronomer Patrick Moore announced on the radio in 1976 that at 9:47 am, a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event, in which Pluto would pass behind Jupiter, would cause a gravitational alignment that would reduce the Earth's gravity. Moore told listeners that if they jumped in the air at the exact moment of the planetary alignment, they would experience a floating sensation. Hundreds of people called in to report feeling the sensation.

2. Geezzz, that is funny...:biggrin:

3. In todays age there is more than one born every minute...:biggrin:

4. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

OMG! I have to try this on someone :Smart:

5. These are funny!

I remember back, I think it was, the late 80's when a local radio news person ran an April Fools hoax that caught alot of people.

Baltimore has the Inner Harbor. The story goes that the City and a private developer signed an agreement for the developer to build the worlds first underwater shopping mall right in the middle of the Harbor. It was to be called "Loch Ness Mall." They were to dredge the harobr to make it deeper so boats could continue to use the Harbor and pass overhead with mall onlookers able to see out the roof of the mall (clear glass) at ships and boats passing by.

My stupid self fell for it. Got to the office and spread the good word before feeling like a total idiot! :biggrin:

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Those 2 are hilarious !!! A left handed version of a burger , brilliant :866: :866: :866:

7. photogfellow

photogfellow Guest

Thank for the responses everyone (so far)....!

The other night on the Jay Leno Tonight Show in a "Jay-Walking" epsisode, Jay had a "substitute" elementary school teacher, that did not know who Betsy Ross was, and had no idea that a woman was running for President, even when he prompted her about Hillary Clinton.

Oh, one more thing, I have some property I'm subdividing and selling the day ater March 31, when it comes off a long term lease.

Anyone interested in a piece of the Capital Mall in Washington, D.C., please let me know. First come, first served. The prices are negotiable according to the lot size. We gladly take Money Orders, Cash, or Negotiable Securities.

8. The best was BK's 180 degree rotation of condiments and Nixon's, "I didn't do anything wrong, and I won't do it again." Thanks for sharing!

9. To me, the best one was the Sports Illustrated Sid Finch story. I remember it like it was yesterday when they did this. It was perpetrated by the late and great author, George Plimpton. It was so well written and so well executed that several major league teams sent scouts out trying to find this pitching phenom. When you've got major league baseball teams actually spending money on this, then you have one hell of a hoax. Only someone of Plimpton's stature could have pulled off such an April Fool's joke as this. The guy was a brilliant.

10. You're not going to believe this... but I read that article, and believed it!!! Also in the article they said this may have been the reason why a certain explorer went missing!! I THOUGHT IT WAS TRUE!!!!! :Shocked:

In the article, it said they emit a certain chemical into their system when sensing something standing on the ice above, and they would all gather together and turn the ice under the penguin to slush. Oh geeeeez, and I always considered myself an intelligent person!!! This one got me - for a total of 12 years!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. photogfellow

photogfellow Guest

Thank all ... again...

Sandi...we hear so many incredible and outlandish stories that are true that we've become used to it; so we accept stuff we read casually that seems even a little plausible!

12. Don't laugh,was reading in last weekend's travel section of the newspaper that an underwater hotel is being built near a coral reef - wake up in bed and look up at the glass ceiling to see fish swimming OVER you! That idea wasn't so far fetched after all!!!

13. Thanks Paul. If I read it in what I consider a reputable publication, I believe it. I forgot which publication it was in and have been searching EVERY magazine in the house for years!!! I've gone page by page through ALL my National Geographics and all other nature magazines because I just KNEW I'd read it! In fact, I recounted this article to a certain person just a few weeks ago, and I'm so thankful this 'certain person' hasn't popped in to say "oh yeah, she told me about this!" and have a good laugh at my expense!!! :biggrin:

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    That "certain person" would never never never do something like that...

... although he might have been a bit credulous at the time ! :rolleyes: :wink:

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

If memory serves, there's already such a place in Elat, at the southern tip of Israel. I had wanted to go there when I was in Israel on business a decade or so back, but I just couldn't free up the time.

John P.

16. LOL:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

17. photogfellow

photogfellow Guest

A long time ago in a land far, far away......I heard a plausible story:

"Clint Eastwood is the son of Stan Laurel." It was accompanied by some "specifics and genealogy".

I learned later it was a well known myth and untrue, but not before telling a friend who told a friend who told a friend, and so on....

My friend was a bit miffed when I told him it was untrue :actions1:

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I believe nothing I hear ,see ,or read on Apri 1...lol
    I got caught a couple times as a kid and said to myself.. no no no no ...no more:>)))))
    The stories above are very funny..
    Can I have my onion at 180 please...lololol

19. pdoes

pdoes

Aug 6, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Those are hilarious. I can't resist to tell one myself

A little bit of background information: In the Netherlands you had to pay money for each television you had in your house. It's called "Viewing Taxes"

Back in the 60's it was announced on national news the government had development a way to see if you had paid your Viewing taxes for each TV in your household by driving through the streets and picking up a certain signal. They showed a short clip of this van with some sort of radar on top of the roof driving through the streets. The newscaster "accidentally" said that by wrapping your TV in aluminum foil it was undetectable. A few days after the broadcast you were unable to buy any aluminum foil anywhere.

20. WOW, I'm crying so hard from laughing so hard, just how am I supposed to go out and do some shooting!

ROFL!