Farewell April

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim Strathearn, Jul 21, 2008.

1. We got April from the ASPCA sometime around '92-'93. She was already an adult and they guessed she was at least two years old at that time. We've never had a pet as long as we've had her. Today, we had to put her down. Linda is devastated but it was the right thing to do as she reached the point where she could no longer get up... :frown:

May she now be in peace and pain-free...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I'm really sorry to hear this Jim. It sound like you did the right thing though I'm sure it was not easy. My condolences.

3. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I'm so sorry Jim.

I had a German Shepherd who passed away last year, and it still hurts today :frown:

4. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    it is incredible that you were able to share your life with her for 16 years

I hope my pets have the ability to last as long as yours did

sorry for your loss

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Oh :frown: :D epressed

Painful but obviously the right decision.

6. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    How sad. As I said in the Desktop Image thread, we just had to put Molly down last month. It's amazing how you can bond with these beautiful animals.

7. Jim, Sorry to here this . It is very hard to do but, sometimes it is the right thing.
    Tim

8. It is amazing how attached we get. My condolences.

9. Sorry Jim,
    Last year I had to do the samething for my Cisco and he was 13 years old.
    He was a Welsch Corgi and I still miss him so badly...I'm sure they all are in a better place and waiting for us too....:frown:

10. Aw, Jim and Linda......I'm so sorry! She was a sweet doggie and I am glad to have had the opportunity to spend a little time with her at your house when we were all there in June. I can imagine how sad you're feeling right now, but it sounds as though this was the best decision for April, if the quality of her life was diminishing. My sympathy and empathy to you.....

11. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    Here's a nice quote from James Herriott

"If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty
    and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of
    humans. You've nothing to worry about there."
    He goes to note regarding animals
    joining their masters in the afterlife:
    "I do believe it. With all my heart I believe it."

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm so sorry to hear about April. My sincere condolences to you and Linda.

13. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm sorry...godspeed, April...

14. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    So sorry to hear this. Dogs are such wonderful animals. Like Cafe member SoxOZ says in his signature line:

"IF DOGS DON'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO"

15. Thanks All

You are all too kind.

Linda also appreciates all the nice notes.

16. That is always a sad moment when you realize that the humane thing to do is to put them down. I feel very sad for you and your family to have lost your friend.

17. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Jim,

We are taking our 14 year old Golden to the vet this afternoon to be put to sleep. We had him and his sister since they were pups, and lost her to bone cancer in 2006.. Out of a litter of eight, he and two siblings remain. It is hard to deal with, no matter how often you make that final visit to the vet.

18. Jim

I am so sorry for your loss. People often don't understand why people are so upset when their dog passes, but the innocence of animals is something humans are just not capable of, the unconditional love is something special. I know I sound like one of those 'animal nuts' (I am not, and I love to eat meat :wink:) , but you just don't know how much joy a dog brings until you have one in your life.

19. I'm very sorry for your loss. I had three cats, all were born literally into my lap. One of them died last winter. He was a wonderful cat -- so I choose a photo of him as my avatar so that he can life another live -- at least for the time being.

Best

20. Jim, I am so sorry to hear of this loss.
    I can see the photo that April was a beautiful loving member of your family.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.