1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Farewell of a Queen (QE2)

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Frits, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Last week I was in Quebec city and I was lucky to see Cunard line's Queen Elizabeth 2 in port. I happened to have my D2x with me, but unfortunately I only had one lens with me (17-35 f/2.8). If I had known...:frown:

This majestic ship is making the tour of her final port of calls this year, as she will be taken out of service in a short while. After some 40 years of service, she is destined to be a floating hotel in Dubai.

A frigid early morning, the QE2 has just arrived in Quebec city.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Late that same day, the QE2 is now solidly moored and her passengers are enjoying Quebec city.

original.jpg

A final farewell the end of the next day, the QE2 heads out for her final crossing of the Atlantic ocean.

original.jpg

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    beautiful shots, no idea how they could be better with other lenses, these are awesome!

3. Thank you Leo.
    I wish I would have had some longer glass with me. It would have been nice to shoot some tight perspective shots at her departure.

Also, if I would have had time, I would have taken the ferry across to shoot her with Quebec city behind her.

All ifs... :rolleyes: . But I am still happy that I ran into her and got to snap a few :smile:.

4. I noticed her when she visit a rainy Rotterdam a few months ago_O ne of the last real ocean liners.
    BTW:
    We have the SS Rotterdam back in town.

5. Very Nice Frits...I like the look of the water in Image #1...looks like a light fog covering it............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

6. Thank you Ted.
    I agree that this really enhances the shot. It was just around the freezing point early in the morning, which made for the vapors rising from the water surface - nice!
    Sometimes one can be really lucky :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  7. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Freedom

Great shots Frits! Image #1 is especially very nice. You guys are lucky to have the freedom to shoot whatever you want without getting hassled by law enforcement or quasi-lawenforcement jokers.

8. Wow , I had no idea that cruise ships ventured up to QC. We loved it there a few years ago.... I can still taste the queue de castor we had near the Le Chateau Frontenac

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Frits,

Fantastic set. You did fine with just one lens.

Thanks for sharing,

10. Kjetil

Kjetil

Jun 14, 2007
    Oslo Norway
    Nice ship, and nice photos.

Looks like a nice evening, with good light :) 

Think you did great with the 17-35.
    I also "only" had my 18mm when queen Mary II was in Oslo.

Allmost ran me over ...... :) 

[​IMG]

(Photoshoped:) 

11. I think you say it right.it almost ran me over.This is taken from less than 10 meters?
    BTW..I love the slender line of the ship.Modern day cruisers are more fat ladies compared to this.

12. Kjetil

Kjetil

Jun 14, 2007
    Oslo Norway
    It was a photoshoped picture :) 

But nice boats anyway ..... !!

Original :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some color faults because of the bad monitor i had when photoshoping :) 
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best regards, Kjetil

13. Wow, very nice Kjetil!
    I definitely want to shoot the Queen Mary 2 when she will be in Quebec again. I will make sure to have different lenses with me then :smile: and plan to shoot some from the other side, with the city as a background.
    Hopefully at an early morning arrival - should be awesome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.