Farnham Church

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mart61, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Went to a nearby town this morning called Farnham. Had a stroll around the churchyard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  2. i bet that place has some interesting history behind it
    i like the b/w conversion

nice shot

3. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks Greg. The church was built in the 12th century so I'm sure you're right on it's history.

4. veloman

veloman

Aug 22, 2007
    ,UK
    Those are nicely ballanced compositions,I like them a lot.

V.

5. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Very nice. The B&W is super for this subject.

6. Just lovely! And interesting to see the cemetary right there with the church. I recently learned that Boston was the first location in the US (in the Colonial days) to move its burial grounds out away from the center of town / next to the church. They simply had run out of room. This was seen as something strange to do. However, it caught on, and my town (Holliston) was the second to follow suit. :smile:

I never knew that cemeteries next to the church was "how its done" and this was an interesting lesson. Your photo further cements the history. :smile:

7. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    Nice pics there Mart, I must pop down there and have a look around, I love old churches and castles.

Some more on St Andrew's church, Farnham here

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for your kind words one and all.

And Gretchen, there are one or two churches that, for reasons of space and/or re-development, have had their graveyards reduced in size. But most churches I know of have a burial ground around them with the exception of all but the very new and "city" churches.

And Mike, I wandered up to the castle in Farnham but, being a tight-wad as I am, wasn't going to pay the £3 to get in. :biggrin:

9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice work, B/W works well here.

10. weinlamm

weinlamm

Jul 7, 2008
    Germany
    For such an old church the b&w-style is perfect! :biggrin:

11. Walt

Walt

Jun 12, 2008
    North Carolina
    That is cool, I knew of the town named Farnham in England. It is my family name. My dad traced our lineage back to England, just wish I had the history.

thanks for sharing
    Walt Farnham