Farnham Church

Went to a nearby town this morning called Farnham. Had a stroll around the churchyard.

p1070742541.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p684828762.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just lovely! And interesting to see the cemetary right there with the church. I recently learned that Boston was the first location in the US (in the Colonial days) to move its burial grounds out away from the center of town / next to the church. They simply had run out of room. This was seen as something strange to do. However, it caught on, and my town (Holliston) was the second to follow suit. :smile:

I never knew that cemeteries next to the church was "how its done" and this was an interesting lesson. Your photo further cements the history. :smile:

Nice pics there Mart, I must pop down there and have a look around, I love old churches and castles.

Some more on St Andrew's church, Farnham here

Thanks for your kind words one and all.

And Gretchen, there are one or two churches that, for reasons of space and/or re-development, have had their graveyards reduced in size. But most churches I know of have a burial ground around them with the exception of all but the very new and "city" churches.

And Mike, I wandered up to the castle in Farnham but, being a tight-wad as I am, wasn't going to pay the £3 to get in. :biggrin:

That is cool, I knew of the town named Farnham in England. It is my family name. My dad traced our lineage back to England, just wish I had the history.

thanks for sharing
Walt Farnham

Latest threads

Top Bottom