1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fast boat shoot for Mercury Racing (many pics)

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Scream And Fly, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Today I completed a shoot for Mercury Racing's catalog and 2009 calendar. Here are some quick samples - all taken with D300/70-200VR. Click on images for full size (the board resizes them).

5angyh.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2it6atf.jpg

2i9ikd0.jpg

1hqcns.jpg

rthto1.jpg

fji884.jpg

vgtzk1.jpg

2. Fantastic!
    The D300 and the 70-200 is a match made for each other when it comes to this type of shooting!

And someone should move this to the cars,planes, and boats section...

3. Excellent shots, but #3 is the best in my opinion.

4. Kamil

Kamil

Oct 28, 2007
    Oman
    Great shots, but wouldn't panning on some of those have been a better option to emphasis speed?

5. Really like #2 and #3.

6. It's #3 for me as well
    nice shooting

7. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    If #2 had panned, and shown more motion it would be my #1 shot

#3 is probably my favorite also!

They are all excellent shots! Very nice work!

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    WOW GREAT SHOTS! :eek: 

I think it'd be a little difficult to pan these though. The boat is constantly dipping and rising with the water and waves and minor chop, so it's not like a car or bike on a steady surface. Would still be interesting to try though! :smile:

9. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    very good point....

10. Excellent shots! Yes, the D300 and the 70-200mm VR is a marriage made in heaven. By the way, i think your exposure control, motion control, sharpness and saturation are ideal. Thank you for sharing with us.

Tom

P.S. I hope some realize the D300 is still alive even though the D700 is out. Newness is not necessarily greatness!

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Just super shots, sharp, clear, great Photog behind the camera, what more could one ask for.

Bravo.

As noted above It is probably a good idea to move this to the other forum, but I will leave a redirect for a week so more folks can see these great shots.

Well done!

Wade

12. Great shots! That looks like a lot of fun. I imagine running a pair of 300's wide open would burn a gallon or two. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ted :smile:

13. Thanks everyone, I shot them all RAW, using VR in active mode, since I was shooting at 65 MPH from a boat riding alongside. I rarely use VR too, but in times like this, it helps. Panning shots would not have been difficult, but Mercury Marine does not want that - photos that depict too much speed may turn off buyers from a safety standpoint. They are very particular about that sort of thing.

I shoot sports professionally, and I've shot catalogs for Mercury several times, National Geographic TV shows, and others - both with my D200 and D300. I have a D2xs, but it never gets used - I prefer the smaller body of the D200/D300 for my work. For action photography - at least for me - there's no need for a full frame camera. The move to a D700 would be a lateral move for someone like me, not an upgrade.

Thanks again everyone :) 

Greg

mcvyip.jpg

2dkag0l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  14. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Absolutely incredible that you're going 65mph in a boat alongside and the pictures come out so crisp. Amazing!

15. Great action shots.... Brilliant colors...
    By the capture showing the water as droplets in the boats wake, you must have used a very high shutter speed..
    Love the last shot of the first series showing the twin breaking the calm waters....
    Well done... Mercury must be very happy with the results...

16. Brew

Brew Guest

That is a nice combo so crisp and clear, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.