Fast Glass question

I am leaving on vacation in a couple of days. I will be taking the 85 f1.4, 50 f1.4, and 35 f2 with me for further testing and playing.:biggrin:

I know that when I used my 17-55 and wanted to get a shot with more than one person in focus, I would usually use f5.6 or smaller. What do you suggest with this fast glass. Here are a couple of examples of where I am going and what types of situations I will be photographing.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 227976

View attachment 227977

Terri, you are smart to think about this in advance. I've ruined many a group shot with my fast glass by not paying attention to my aperture. This usually happens when I'm at the wide end for a single portrait and then suddenly find other people joining in for the shot. I tend to get caught up in the moment and keep shooting.

For groups of three or more, depending how they are positioned, I would go with at least f7 if you want to make sure they will all be sharp.

well-put, mitch
i think that this is a very common issue
i've surely done it plenty

all the overexposure and selective DOF... for group shooting outside/UNDesirable, for sure

Terri, just an observation. Be careful with the wides shooting portrait. The top edge in the first one seems stretched. I find very limited use for wider angle lens shots in portrait.

I start at f/5.6 and work from there. Remember that DOF is not only related to aperture, but also focal length and distance from subject. As you get closer with a shorter focal length to fill the frame, you'll need a to close down more. So to fill the frame, where f/5.6 may work well for the 85, you may need f/8 or more for the 35, b/c you'll be a lot closer to your subject to have the same portion of frame filled. :smile:

Terri, you are smart to think about this in advance. I've ruined many a group shot with my fast glass by not paying attention to my aperture. This usually happens when I'm at the wide end for a single portrait and then suddenly find other people joining in for the shot. I tend to get caught up in the moment and keep shooting.

For groups of three or more, depending how they are positioned, I would go with at least f7 if you want to make sure they will all be sharp.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does it, Mitch. It's so easy to get caught up in the moment and not think about the technical details. Thanks for the suggestion.

I start at f/5.6 and work from there. Remember that DOF is not only related to aperture, but also focal length and distance from subject. As you get closer with a shorter focal length to fill the frame, you'll need a to close down more. So to fill the frame, where f/5.6 may work well for the 85, you may need f/8 or more for the 35, b/c you'll be a lot closer to your subject to have the same portion of frame filled. :smile:

Thanks, Gretchen. You are reminding me of things I know but tend to forget. Thanks so much for the good advice. Shooting macro this summer has reinforced some of these principles for me.

Terri, just an observation. Be careful with the wides shooting portrait. The top edge in the first one seems stretched. I find very limited use for wider angle lens shots in portrait.

You are right, Rich. Thanks for reminding me. The distortion in that one is pretty bad!!

Sounds like we all forget.....

Oh yeah, all the time! Or....i'm so used to shooting one person at f/2.8, that when I shoot 2 or more.....oops!:redface: It's something I have to really think about when shooting multiple people, as I'm so in the habit of "largest aperture possible." :smile:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom