Fast Shutter Speeds With SB-800

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by JustinD, Jul 11, 2008.

1. With the D70 I could shoot at 1/500ths of a second using the pop up flash as a commander - with the D200 that dropped to 1/250ths of a second. Is there a setting or way to be able to use faster shutter speeds when using an SB-800? Would an SU-800 be the answer to my question?

2. Doesn't the D200 have high speed sync mode? On the D80, I can sync up to top shutter speed at the expense of a decreased flash output. On the D80, you go into the custom settings menu, and set "Auto FP" to "on". You will notice the FP on the SB-800 along with the TTL BL letters.

3. yes.. you can use 1/250 FB which allows faster shutter speeds.. but you have to be careful because at high speeds than the flash sync the curtain may partial obscure some of the flash... it is useful in bright light (or backlit) for flash fill situations.

4. Your D70 has an composite shutter (mechanical AND electronic) and that's why it can sync faster than "normal". However, there are image quality problems with electronic shutters and that's why higher end cameras don't use them.

With your D-200, which has a strictly mechanical shutter, it will sync at 1/250 sec unless you shift to FP mode. Then you can sync up to the shutter speed limit of your camera. You won't have the luxury of full flash power or the motion stopping ability of "normal" flash.

If you stick to Nikon products and use them in a normal way, i.e. you don't tape over any flash shoe pins, you won't have any problem with the shutter curtains obscuring your images no matter what mode you use.:biggrin:

5. Thank you very much, Bob. You've completely answered my question.

6. Yes, but consider that your lowest sensitivity setting on the d70 was iso200. The d200 offers iso100. For any given aperture, 1/[email protected] yields the same exposure as 1/[email protected]

The camera applies the same restrictions with the su800. As someone has already mentioned, you can work with quicker shutter speeds in FP mode... but at the cost of a reduced guide number.

7. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Is that accurate? Is that just not the 'base' ISO of those particular cameras? Is ISO 100 on the D200 not the same as ISO 200 on the D70 with all other settings relative?

So the D70 at 1/125 ISO 200 and the D200 at 1/125 ISO 100 would be similar exposures? Just different ways of measuring...

I am not saying that is the way it is...just the way I have understood base ISO...I could be wrong.

8. ISO means International Organization for Standardization. I think the French beat the US to it, which is why it's not IOS, but anyhow the operative word is standardization.

The sensitivity of our sensors is measured against a standard, which is supposed to be the same values we used to use for film. Thus ISO 100 is the same from camera to camera. If you use the same f stop and shutter speed under identical lighting conditions, you should get the same exposure using ISO 100 on any camera, either digital or film. That's what standardization is all about.

If you use the Celsius scale to measure temperature then 100 degrees C should be the same everywhere, don't you agree? ISO works the same way.

9. Montec

Montec

Jul 26, 2007
    British Columbia
    Thanks for that info, makes sense.

10. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi

No, UF is right. if you double your ISO (1 stop) and half your Shutter Speed (1 stop) you have created virtually the same exposure. ISO 100 is ISO 100 'everywhere'