Faster DX wide angle on its way?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 30, 2005.

1. So I'm reading this article on the development of the 12-24mm F/4 DX lens on this Nikon website, read it here:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/technology/scene/05/index.htm

As I'm reading it, a small blurb caught my attention:

"Exactly. To tell the truth, I was the one who suggested the 12-24mm f/4 specifications! Of course I also intend to pursue a better aperture in the future, but for the first DX Nikkor lens, I like the appeal of optical performance at its maximum aperture of f/4. This demonstrates the superiority of the new Nikkor series developed for the era of digital cameras. I think this design concept is uniquely advantageous to lenses designed specifically for digital cameras."

So when do you think Nikon is going to release a faster wide-angle DX lens? Would this lens end all arguments about the DX format? I'd really be interested in what Nikon has up their sleeve. With all lens manufacturers releasing wide-angle digital lenses, it'll be interesting to see how Nikon will 'one up' the competition.[/b][/url]

2. Jonathan, first of all I would like ta say up front that I'm also eager to better lens and all (plus I wish I could have all... LLD growing uncontrolled)

However, reading the article from the link you shared with us, and also lookinf at the other articles...
    • - Nikon F6
      - Multi-CAM 2000 AF Sensor Module
      - LBCAST
      - SENDAI NIKON
      - AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED Lens
      - Digital Camera Nikon COOLPIX 3100 / 2100
      - AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens
      - Nikon Speedlight SB-80DX
      - Digital SLR Camera Nikon D100
    ...it seems that "time has stopped a year ago" for that section of the web site!!! What I mean is, that all this wonderful informaion about Digital Camera Nikon COOLPIX 3100 / 2100 and Nikon Speedlight SB-80DX not to mention Digital SLR Camera Nikon D100 and LBCAST or even Nikon F6 is kinda ...ancient history, isn't it???
    Shouldn't this great NEW&IMPROVED DX 12-24 be out in the market???
    I know Nikon has its own "pace" but... there are NO referals to any new toys such as the D70(!!!) D2x or any new lens like the DX17-55 or DX18-70... and I quote... "Currently, the idea that high priority should be made of developing lenses for use with digital cameras is taken for granted." Hallo!!! you have the DX17-55 or DX18-70...

So, to make my very long story short, I think this article/interview is as old as my D100(!!!) and I wouldn't expect anyting substancially better than the DX17-55 to arrive shortly... (unfortunately :( )