1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fastpitch Travel Softball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by allstar25, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Here are some of my captures from this past weekends travel softball tournament. All taken with Nikon D40 and 55-200 vr.

As always, C&C welcome!!!

1. Bat on Ball
    2723518343_44779105b1.

2. She's OUT!
    2723520601_35aa8fff43.

3. She's not even looking at the ball.
    2724343862_2b78cf9941.

4. Fastpitch pitcher.
    2724345698_6ed3bbfded.

5. Getting ahead of the ball.
    2723525853_21937e6862.

6. Not sure what she is doing. Just thought that it was a funny picture.
    2723527653_c21a6dbf3e.

7. Fierce fastpicth pitcher.
    2724337914_74cc3a8341.

2. Wow, two bat on ball shots, and the rest are great too! Good job!

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Why do girls play on dirt? I mean guys have grass in the outfield.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I'll be doing a senior girl portrait in September and the gal is a softball player. We're going to do a studio session with a black background and the digital matte will read:

Nothing Soft About This Game!

5. bonnerkopf

bonnerkopf

Nov 16, 2007
    canada

If you look closely, this looks like a very nice field. Top notch infield, with deep green grass in the outfield. Many upper end softball diamonds do not have grass infields.

6. nice shots, and that BoB, congrats!

I too wonder about the dirt, especially sliding. I remember sliding on dirt (in shorts) during a pickup game once and my leg looked like a cheese pizza after you peel off the cheese...and hurt!

7. great series
    a bit oversaturated in color on my screen
    but... some wonderful action

thanks for sharing these with us

8. The field that they are playing on is a high school field. The home team that has the field has won several state championships. Also their football team has won state championships in the last 5 of 6 years. So they get plenty of support and financial donations. Thanks for the comments.

Spalding - How can I fix the saturation in these pictures? All I have is picture project. I agree with you that some look over saturated.

9. Nice set with bat on ball.
    the faces are good too.
    Fred

10. Thanks Fred

11. Any other C&C?

12. Nice series those girls can get at cant they

13. LOL. They sure can. Thanks for the comment. I'm getting there. I'm just 16 using a D40 and a 55-200vr.

14. bonnerkopf

bonnerkopf

Nov 16, 2007
    canada
    Since you are asking:

-try to get a better angle for shots of batters, ie so you can see their face and front of body more.
    - watch your horizon - keep it straight.
    -for action, try to snap one shot a peak action, like it seems you have. Blasting away is fine if you want a sequence, but single action snaps are more likely to bring the quality interactions.

enjoy.

15. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    These are really good! Love the bat on ball shots.

16. Some nice shots, although some of the batting angles might not make for good sales. Always try to make sure you get faces, it helps sell a lot more.

17. Thanks GeoffBolte

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.