Faststone Image Browser

I re-joined a camera club last fall and have been irritated by the way my photos are being displayed. I've been fighting with the organizers to no avail. Last night, I found out that part of the problem might be that they are using Faststone as their image browser. I say that because I have it on my machine and when I open my images, they are all way over saturated. The first time I saw my D810 images I thought something went seriously wrong with my camera. I opened the same images in Nikon View and Windows and they look fine. I know part of the problem is the large TV in the meeting room. Not only does it amp up the blues, but it kicks the contrast and crops the images. The bottom line is, if my images look great on my calibrated monitor and on the web, they look terrible at club competition.
I'm wondering if anyone else using Faststone has noticed that their images are not rendering correctly. It could be just a Nikon thing? This would be jpegs in sRGB.
For the last 4 competitions, I've been trying to adjust my processing to make them display better but judging by last night, I'm no closer than I was before.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I seriously doubt it is Nikon or Faststone unless they some some settings that are affecting the image displays. It's probably the display device (projector or computer?) and/or the TV. Aren't there other Nikon shooters there? If so, how do they process? Do you get the same results displaying via you TV at home?

However, if everyone is happy but you.......they are probably not welcome to change....

I have noticed a big difference at home between Faststone and other browsers such as NikonView . It is hard to get a handle on other people's work, one guy was complaining a while back and when I brought the matter to the board, he denied saying anything which left me the sole complaint. I doubt the majority of the other club members know there is a difference as the skill level is, well, not there.
You are correct, they are not concerned about my comments.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
See if they have Colour Management turned on in FastStone.
I can imagine a scenario: Other people take Adobe RGB photos. They display looking bad because Colour Management is off (the default is OFF when you install it). So they adjust the TV to make them look good. Then your photos look bad.
In FastStone, go to Settings/Settings (or press F12). Then go to the CMS tab. (Check your copy and the club copy).

There is nothing wrong with FastStone, it is good.

About the cropping, that would be a setting on the TV called Overscan. All TVs come with it turned on by default. You should be able to turn it off in a menu. (I do this to my TVs so my photos are not missing the edges).

Thanks for the info, I'll check my copy later. The situation is a bit more complicated in that the TV is not the club's but in a meeting room the club is allowed to use (for free). We aren't able to adjust the TV if we wanted to, management has the remote so we are stuck with whatever settings they have. It's a TV and I suspect that it's been set up (if anything other than defaults) for Powerpoint presentations and videos. Even if we could, someone would have to re-adjust it before every meeting and make sure to reset it when done. Most members don't think there is a problem.
Others in the club aren't experienced enough for aRGB so I don't think that's an issue but it is something I am going to try for the next meeting. The Club rules require files to be submitted in sRGB as jpegs but I might try to pull off a change to see if it would help.
As I said earlier, I've already raised the issue and have been told I'm too picky. Yet, again last night, the judges critiques keep taking points away for things I know wrong.
The cropping is the TV, most of the time it's something I can compensate for when I crop the image initally.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It is worth turning on CMS as it will make sure that any profiles are obeyed. It may even make a difference to your photos, despite them being sRGB. For example having an sRGB profile can sometimes display differently to having no profile at all. Try it now at home.

See if you can sneak in some time and turn off Overscan on the TV. You can leave it set that way permanently, no one will notice or care. It will be fine for Powerpoint etc.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom