Father and Son - First Attempt at Panning

Discussion in 'People' started by JustinD, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I shot this at a shutter speed of 1/13 of a second in shutter priority. I "panned" along at the same speed as the father and son rode their bike. Any comments? Not sure if this is the right forum for this image...

CopyofBeijingPanning2-BW.

2. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    I think it's quite effective. Good use of B&W too.

Tom

3. Thanks for the comment Tom. I think I'll be using panning as a technique more often.

4. Wow, that's a FIRST attempt?

Pretty good if you asked me. I love the technique. Sometimes I pan while using a slow shutter speed and flash, kind of the reverse of the technique most used, but it works nicely for some images.

Did you try and sight through the camera the whole time? I got much better when I learned to keep both eyes open when shooting, although I don't think it works if you're left eyed.

5. I have a lot of developing to do as far as panning is concerned. I'd love to get at the technique. I did look through the viewfinder the whole time. I found it was sometimes hard to gauge just exactly where things really were sometimes...that's probably the reason I kept a grand total of two out of close to a hundred panning shots I took that day. This is one of them.

Thanks for the comment ednaz.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That looks really good Justin! I'm thinking one keeper per 50 shots for something like this ain't too bad! The length of the pan is perfect because it shows speed AND detail in the background.

7. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Guest

hi justin,

nice picture. did u move the camera aparet from keeing shutter speed to 1/13 ?

rgds,
    Kaushik B

8. Kaushik - Yes. I moved or "panned" the camera in the same direction as the subjects were moving and tried to move at the same speed as well. It takes some practice and most of my attempts didn't create any compelling images.