Father and Son - First Attempt at Panning

I shot this at a shutter speed of 1/13 of a second in shutter priority. I "panned" along at the same speed as the father and son rode their bike. Any comments? Not sure if this is the right forum for this image...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TKO said:
I shot this at a shutter speed of 1/13 of a second in shutter priority. I "panned" along at the same speed as the father and son rode their bike. Any comments? Not sure if this is the right forum for this image...
I think it's quite effective. Good use of B&W too.

Tom

Wow, that's a FIRST attempt?

Pretty good if you asked me. I love the technique. Sometimes I pan while using a slow shutter speed and flash, kind of the reverse of the technique most used, but it works nicely for some images.

Did you try and sight through the camera the whole time? I got much better when I learned to keep both eyes open when shooting, although I don't think it works if you're left eyed.

I have a lot of developing to do as far as panning is concerned. I'd love to get at the technique. I did look through the viewfinder the whole time. I found it was sometimes hard to gauge just exactly where things really were sometimes...that's probably the reason I kept a grand total of two out of close to a hundred panning shots I took that day. This is one of them.

Thanks for the comment ednaz.

Real Name
Chris
That looks really good Justin! I'm thinking one keeper per 50 shots for something like this ain't too bad! The length of the pan is perfect because it shows speed AND detail in the background.

S

sharpshooter

hi justin,

nice picture. did u move the camera aparet from keeing shutter speed to 1/13 ?

rgds,
Kaushik B

Kaushik - Yes. I moved or "panned" the camera in the same direction as the subjects were moving and tried to move at the same speed as well. It takes some practice and most of my attempts didn't create any compelling images.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom