Faulty zoom ring on the 28-70/2.8???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 1, 2005.

1. NB23 advised me that the real strength of the 28-70/2.8 is at its wide end, and encouraged me to test it. But
    try as I could, I didn't have the strength to turn that ring all the way to 28mm, so I took my test shot at 32mm.

Note: just kidding; the zoom ring is as smooth as butter .

OK, looks good. Time to go back to the correct end of the zoom. My next victim was the trick little truck
    that picks up our clippings, shot at 70mm.

View attachment 6796

The driver must have thought The Beast was a bazooka launcher, because his first reaction was to duck.
    Then he headed straight for me, and he looked pi$$ed. I thought he was going to run me down :? .

View attachment 6797

But once he figured out it was just a camera, he was more than pleased to pose.

View attachment 6798

I tried one more wide angle shot at Stix, when I bought lunch. Hey, I actually made it all the way to 28mm :twisted: !

View attachment 6799

Cool glass.

2. Great test run for your new lens. It passed with flying colors. Nice images UF.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You poor thing. Nothing to do today except go out and play with your new toy.... 8)

I have to admit (much as I hate to....;-)), these are pretty decent.... :lol:

Frank

4. Nice images Frank!!! :D :D :D :D :D

5. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Hoho, look at the colors.

Great stuff Uncle Frank. Enjoy your lens.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really good stuff Frank. Great colors. Some fun thrown in. good job

7. Bingo! This is my third iteration of a midrange zoom, Anand.

The 24-120VR had great colors, but it wasn't sharp.
    The Tamron 28-75/2.8 was sharp, but didn't have great colors.
    The 28-70 has it all.

I think I'm in love :wink:.

8. Not to worry, Frank. You'll be old and retired someday :p.

9. Thanks, Gordon. My buyer's remorse level drops a little more with each picture from the Beast 8)

10. Thanks, Bryan and Gale!

11. Every time I "listen" to you or look at your pictures it ends up costing me shedloads of cash.

So I'm not even gonna look at this thread. No way. Nyet.

But if Iwas tempted to take a peek, I bet your pictures would help prove what a great lens this is.

12. billT

billT Guest

HI Frank,

It looks like you love your beast. Did you have a chance to try some head shots with it yet? I was blown away by this lens.

BillT.

13. The thing that's going to ruin you is your new 80-200AFS. I predict It will raise your standards for excellence, and
    you'll wind up with expensive glass throughout the range before you're satisfied. Better warn your wife :p .

14. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. billT

billT Guest

Hi Frank,

Great shots. You mentioned in this thread that you figure out a solution to the bulk and weight of this lens. The size of this thing is indeed intimidating to carry it around. Can you share your solution?

BillT

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. There's no way to reduce the weight of the lens, but it looks and feels a lot smaller without the lens hood. I'll only use it when necessary, or when I want to scare somebody :twisted:.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    NOW I HEAR the 24-120 VR VR VR ISN"T SHARP....OH EEEEEKKKKK

Tell me it ain't so....Pretty please :>))

18. Take a deep breath and calm down, Gale :). If you're happy with the results from your 80-400VRVRVR, you'll be happy with the images from the 24-120VRVRVR. Neither of them is "critically sharp" in the same sense as the 17-55DX or the 70-200VRVRVR, but in good hands, like yours and Janet's, the 80-400VRVRVR has delivered brilliant images... and so will your new 24-120VRVRVR. 8)

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks for the compliment UF but my hands an photography falls far behind all of you. I started to late in life with this Hobby and I am not good at it al all.

OK maybe, but not good. Just wish I was. Thats life.

Oh found this from Moose peterson on the 24-120

But then he could shoot with anything and it would look priceless.

Thank You appreciate your vote of confidence.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/d2x/index.html

(he is using the .....hummm...... D2 XXXXXXXXX)

20. billT

billT Guest

HI Gale,

The 24-120 VR is not sharp compared to the 28-70 f2.8 AFS or the 70-200VR. But if you can live with 80-400VR you should not have much problem with it.

I used this lens mainly for travelling when I cannot bring too many lenses with me. In bright light conditions and not shooting it wide open, I got pretty good results (I normally print to 13x19) and the results are fine -- not great, but fine. In low light situations, the VR certainly helps a lot.

Overall I think you will be satisfied with it.

BillT.