Favorite birds from yesterday.....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

These were all taken from a blind at Peace Valley (PA) Nature Center, using D2x, 200-400/2.8VR at 400mm and TC-17. The way the blind was set up I had to shoot from beyond minimum focusing distance. Given how small hummers are to start with, this resulted in some pretty huge crops. For any interested PA locals, Peace Valley is near Doylestown. The center has a bridge over a fairly large lake which is usually pretty productive (but wasn't yesterday) and miles of trails through forests and fields.

View attachment 13810

View attachment 13811

View attachment 13812

View attachment 13813 [/img]

2. nice series of shots Gordon. I've often thought a blind would be helpful. I use my car as a blind for Osprey. They let me get pretty close in the car, but if I step out, poof, they're gone.

Nice shots.

3. Beautiful shots Gordon. You gotta love that first little hummer. So clear and colorful, what's not to like.

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Harry. The blind I was shooting from was a building about 20 feet long with a foot high slit for shooting - nice set-up. Cars work well too. Someday I will probably get a portable blind for all the shots I miss because I don't have one!

Gordon

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gordon. The first hummer is my favorite too.

Gordon

6. Nice series Gordon, quite the variety!!! How did you like shooting from the blind, sounds like fun! Bar fridge and refreshments ;-)

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Keith -

Shooting from a nice blind - this one is a building about 20 feet long with a one foot slit to shoot through and benches to sit on - is a real pleasure. Most of the time. The temperature outside the blind was approaching 100, the humidity was awful, and the blind blocked any breeze. Had to wring out my clothes before my wife would let me in the house. :lol: But I am looking forward to lots of future visits this fall when the temperature is back in the 70s.....

Gordon

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good ones Gordon. That first hummer shot is excellent.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks like a really great place to shoot Gordon. I'll have to make a visit someday soon. Nice series.

10. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Looking good gordon. The hummer is of course a fav.

11. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Harry, Frank and Greg -

Thanks for nice comments. The first hummer is everybody's favorite, including mine. I'll be interested to see what birds drop by when migration season gets into full swing. Stay tuned!

Gordon

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Gordon...

You got urself wun of them there new fangled 200-400 f.2.8 VR lenses did ya?

:)

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Re: Hey Gordon...

Sure did. It's the dangedest thing ya ever saw. Got buttons all over it. Don't know what they do, so I just leav'em alone. Seems to take purty pictures tho, so I'm thinkin I'll keep it. Just hope the sheriff don't find out I stole it.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Beautiful Gordon. #1 is as close to perfect as I could imagine!

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Chris. That's a very nice complement!

Gordon

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Gordon, looks like the 1.7 is working well for you. I haven't been brave enough yet to buy one and put it on my 200-400. Still having to much fun with my 1.4 on this rig.

Nice shots.

Wade

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Wade -

Give the TC-17EII a chance and you will be very pleased. The extra reach of course is great, IMO the image quality holds up very well, and the rig still focuses very fast. When I tried the TC-20EII, I thought both image quality and focusing speed suffered.

Gordon

18. Gordon, looks like you've found yourself a great place to shoot from! I too really like #1.

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Dennis. Peace Valley is a great place for everyone from photogs to joggers to kayakers. #1 is my favorite too. Believe me, I had LOTS of images of that bird to choose from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gordon