1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Favorite Fall Foliage Sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShadowForce, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I live in southwest Ohio and would like to travel up to the New England area in a couple of weeks if possible. I'm thinking of either spending time in the Shenandoa National Park in VA or traveling a bit further and spending time on route 100 in Vermont from Wilmington to Stowe.

What in your opinion is the best place to see fall foliage in this part of the country?

2. If you travel anywhere near north central Pa. visit the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon near
    Wellsburg, Pa.

3. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Although the New England states have terrific fall foliage, the fall foliage in the state of PA is very good too and is very underrated. There are some very popular spots for viewing the foliage such as the Pennyslvania Grand Canyon, Rickett's Glen State Park (especially along the waterfalls trail), and the Delaware Water Gap.

4. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Bob, I live just south of you in Cinci. Our favorite spot is the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont. But before you go anywhere check out the following sites to see where the colors are changing.

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/

http://www.foliagenetwork.com/

5. I live in the Pocono Mountains near the Delaware Water Gap. I've done Vermont, NH, MA and Mass in the fall. PA is everybit as colorful as these areas. The leaves at the Water Gap generally are turning from Oct 7 to 30th and are all down by the 4-5 of Nov. If you want to see some great colors drive across PA on I-80 around the 18th of Oct. Take a few side trips north of the highway and you'll find all the color you could wish for.

If you get to Scranton, go to Steam Town and take the train ride.

Chet

6. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Greg,

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon but just Googled it and it looks striking. It would only cost me about 1 1/2 hours to detour there if I go to Vermont. Might have to seriously consider adding it to the itinerary.

7. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Ken. I don't think I've seen the "foliage-vermont" link. That's a nice site.

Have you been to Hocking Hills in Ohio?

8. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Jaws; I'm definitely going to keep PA in mind for the shoot this year.

Chet, I appreciate the advice. Sounds like a good plan.

9. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
  10. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Ken. Great photos. I'll have to try to make a trip to Hocking this year.

11. Renate

Renate Guest

OK this is going to sound weird but I loved the fall foliage when we lived in Washington DC, we would always go up to the Skyline Drive. Now that we live in Nebraska, I really miss the fall foliage, I haven't seen it here yet. Does any-one know if there is fall-foliage in Nebraska/Iowa. We are just outside of Omaha.

Gosh this looks like such s dumb question, but oh well I really want to know,

Renate

12. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Renate,

I don't know much about Nebraska but a foliage site I looked at indicated that there was likely some good viewing in the northeastern part of the state. Try doing a "Google" search.

13. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    Don't rule out your friendly neighbors to the north. We have great foliage opportunities.

14. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    We have planned a trip to NH during the Columbus Day weekend. I live in the midwest and would not have made this trip had it not been for the simple reason that I travel to Boston every week for work. My family will fly to meet me there on Oct. 10th (thanks to my frequent flyer miles :biggrin:)  and we are going to spend a few days in NH near and around North Conway. I was told that the Kancamangus highway is very scenic and so is the White Mountain area. We have also booked a 5 hr train ride to see the fall colors and I am really looking forward to this trip.

As far as suggestions on other places to visit .... try the Finger Lakes Region in Upstate New York. The colors are just spectacular in the entire region, especially around the Cayuga and Seneca Lakes. Ithaca has a lot of gorges and the colors are spectacular. In fact the slogan for Ithaca is 'Ithaca is gorges'.

15. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Nathan - I'd like to hear more about some of the best places to watch fall colors in MI.

16. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Jaws - Thanks for the links; plenty of good reading there.

Shekhar, Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly keep that in mind if I get to make it up to the northeast this year. Plans are still being formulated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.