Favorite filter used with color efex pro 3 for capture nx2

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Vienna Pics, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    What is your favorite filter(s) that you use with color efex pro 3 for capture nx2?

I find that I reach for the polarizing filter quite often.

2. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    i use the Graduated Neutral Density quite a bit. i think that the polarizing filter adds too much noise and artifacts. I have version 2 - maybe version 3 is cleaner.

3. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    The polarizing filter as something that is not always appropriate but will darken the sky nicely. I went through all the filters when I installed and go play once in a while. I will checkout the ND filter again.

4. jhwalker

jhwalker

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    I use the polarizing filter sometimes, pro contrast quite often and tonal contrast usually. Tonal contrast can really make photos "pop" if used wisely:

377564574_SuzMt-L.

and can add a really cool "arty" look when used "full-strength":

340503127_FxCwY-L-1.

5. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    John - Are you using the filters instead of using the NX2 settings - I am not aware of a specific setting that simulates polarizing but there is the contrast setting in NX2 - I am wondering if your workflow has shifted to the possible replacement of some NX2 setting with the filters. Thanks - mark - oh, and your shots are nice and the last does look artsy.

6. jhwalker

jhwalker

Jun 10, 2008
    United States
    Sure, that's the subject of this string, isn't it? ;-)

I'm using the Color Efex filters *in addition to* NX2 settings - i.e., I start with the base adjustments (usually Neutral +1 Saturation, fine-tuning Active D-Lighting, etc.), then add noise reduction as an edit step, add in polarizer (if needed), pro contrast, tonal contrast, then finish up with selective USM / high pass sharpening.

7. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia

Thanks for your workflow (WF) - I will run a couple of NEFS with my current WF and then run them using yours and see how they look.

8. thanks for starting this thread, Mark. It is great to see what others are doing. I haven't used the polarization or pro contrast. I tried out the tonal contrast on a couple shots. I like the effect. When subtle, I wonder if it is akin to the clarity feature in ACR, which as I understand it, increases midtone contrast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like those contrast effects!

I tend to use darken/lighten center for a subtle fill/vignette effect.

I've come to use dynamic skin softener a lot for portrait/people shots at weddings, but find the default a bit strong and reduce opacity to about 55% or so.

9. Keith, I don't really like the processing of the first image but the second one really rocks.

10. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Is anyone using the film filters? The ones I have played with had a strong effect on the photo when using the supplied settings.

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia

Your welcome - I know where the second one was taken and I presume the first was one of the entrance doors to the 'station'. Are they still doing contraction at the main entrance? Went down over winter - cold and windy.

12. Thanks, I'll take one out of two :biggrin: They both used the tonal contrast filter, but on the first I selected "traditional high pass contrast," which gave it the more extreme effect. I think the subtle use of the filter will be more useful.

Hey Mark, you are right this is union station in DC. The doorway was on the front of the station to the America Restaurant. I had just borrowed a friend's 24-70mm for an upcoming wedding and wanted to try it out. Union Station was on the way home (I live on the eastern side of the hill) and I wanted to snap a few.

I also wanted to check out the photo situation at the station. There was a lot of attention on the Flickr DC photographer's rights group to the station's security forces who were prohibiting shooting in the station. It escalated until our (non-voting, but DC representation in congress is another matter) congressional representative weighed in on the importance of photography and the legal technicalities of the right of folks to take pics in the station. I just wanted to try it out with my D300 and big lens and see if any security tried to question me. I am happy to report it was smooth sailing and I had a great time. What a national treasure that station is. I have fond memories of watching "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" and watching the scene when he is awed by the grandeur or Union Station when he arrives in DC.

13. film filters--- I have tried almost all of these and was not too interested
    what I would like is a b&w filter for tri-x film. any ideas

14. Having the complete version is a lot of fun. So many different options; it's easy to spend way too long playing with them.

My favorites so far:
    Polarization, in moderation, sometimes using control points to not effect too much of the image.
    Sunshine (this one has so many options it can be a bit confusing. Every once in a while, it produces a wow factor)
    Graduated Neutral Density
    Tonal Contrast ( a lot of fun)
    Bleach Bypass (another fun one)

I've tried the Film Effects, but it can be pretty confusing. Would almost like a help file from Nik which gave suggestions of which effect would be best for certain image types.

15. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
  16. One I didn't see mentioned in the thread (though I may have missed it) is the "Dynamic Skin Softener". I've used it with the Paintbrush to soften skin on portraits. Seems more effective than the straight Gaussian Blur.

Regards,
    Peter G.

17. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Peter, I will have to give that one a try. I am not a portrait person but took a bunch at Jim's BBQ in the spring.

I tried everyone's favorites and it seems that I can streamline my PP by using more filters and less specific NX2 controls. Hazah!

18. jgatscher

jgatscher

Jul 29, 2008
    Nashville
    I wish I had time to give them all a good shake out...but I don't...so here are my favs:

portrait work: dynamic skin softener and classical soft focus (with both opacities dialed way back to suit)

landscape work: graduated neutral density, sunshine, and pro contrast (I keep these as placeholders in my batch routine and set opacities almost off -- 5% ...then adjust to suit)

Special effects: midnight blue, bi-color with gold (to get that olympic gold look), indian summer, bleach bypass....depending on the photo and look trying to achieve...

Overall I love them....but the price is steep

19. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks for the input - have you ever used ND filters on the camera and if so how do you think they compare to the ND software?

20. jgatscher

jgatscher

Jul 29, 2008
    Nashville
    I use ND on camera when I need to slow down shutter speed...like for shooting water or wanting some motion in the pic...and of course no software does that...I don't use split ND filters on camera and for some pics even the software ND can't recover blown highlights...but then I will take my raw and combine two exposures in HDR and then use the software ND...that works good...

So I carry my ND filters when shooting to capture motion and use all software for split ND applications.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.