Favorite Photography books for a beginner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lms6241, Apr 19, 2007.

1. lms6241

lms6241

Apr 16, 2007
    Michigan
    I just received "Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera" and "The Digital Photography Book". Are there any other books that you liked and still use? What do you think about "The Digital Photography Book"?

2. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

I read understanding exposure good book, I try to stay away from books that are digital specific and opt more for general photography.
    One book stands out Photography The new complete guide to taking photographs.
    Then for nature National Audubon Society guide to Nature Photography.

3. Bryan Peterson's "Learning to See Creatively" and "Understanding Exposure" were very helpful for me when I first started out. Both are availible on Amazon.com.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thom Hogan's e-book for your camera:>)))

5. Yeah I have to give another thumbs up for both the Thom Hogan book and Understanding Exposure, I still refer to both and give the later out to friends who are wanting to get into photography. The specific "digital" ones are usually ones to avoid, you can get some good ones used, in local book shops sometimes. Visit here to see some other recommendations.

6. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    If you shoot nature photography, the books by "John Shaw".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  7. Ron H

Ron H

Jul 5, 2005
    Phoenix
    The National Geographic Photography Field Guide - Secrets to Making Great Pictures is a terrific book and I'd recommend it highly. Norton's The Art of Outdoor Photography - Techniques for the Advanced Amateur and Professional also has a wealth of very useful and practical information.

8. blessedLens

blessedLens

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    another nod for Understanding Exposure!

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Dianne Arbus.