1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Favorite Quotes"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darkone, Aug 17, 2009.

1. darkone

darkone

Nov 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm a big fan of quotes on just about anything. Whether they fall into the looking into our soul category, observation of the human psyche or are just plain silly, I really enjoy a good quote. I don't care where they come from, whether it's a quote from Abraham Lincoln or my next door neighbor. I've listed a few of my favorites, though I have way more.

You can be bigger than life…just not Death. - Denny Crane, Boston Legal

I am a slow walker, but I never walk back. - Abraham Lincoln

Think about this; think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that. - George Carlin

While a judge should be benevolent in purpose; his awards should cause the criminal to suffer, else there is no punishment - and pain is the basic mechanism built into us by millions of years of evolution which safeguards us by warning when something threatens our survival. Why should society refuse to use such a highly perfected survival mechanism? - Lt. Col. Jean V. Dubois (Ret.), Starship Troopers (novel)

How many watched the President's speech last night? [half-hearted audience applause] How many watched American Idol? [thundering applause] Okay, there you go! You get the government you deserve. - Jay Leno

Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous. - Robert Heinlein

Racism isn't born, folks, it's taught. I have a two-year-old son. You know what he hates? Naps! End of list. Denis Leary

Before all masters, necessity is the one most listened to, and who teaches the best. - Jules Verne

I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

and finally,

America has never been united by blood or birth or soil. We are bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests and teach us what it means to be citizens. - Gearge W. Bush

What are your favorites?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  2. "I refute it [Bishop Berkeley's theory of the non-existence of matter] thus" (kicking a stone) - Dr Samuel Johnson

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

3. Actually I like

Walking on water wasn't built in a day - Jack Kerouac

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S Elliot

It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid - Publilius Syrus

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle - Albert Einstein

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising each time we fail - Confucius

After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box - Italian Proverb

And

We tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress, while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization - Gaius Petronius AD66

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  4. "It is easier to graduate than to learn" - Robert Half

"There are two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there." - Indira Ghandi

"Those who cannot laugh at themselves leave the job to others" - Anon.

"Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment." - Anon.

5. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
  6. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?....Ronald Reagan

7. Don't know who said these, but I occasionally use them in my course syllabai:

If you don’t have the time to do the job right, you must have the time to do it again!
    Failure to plan, is a plan for failure.

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    personally my all time favorite is

"if the facts dont fit the theory, Change the facts" Albert Einstein

9. " oh SHI . .. . . . " General Armstrong Custer :biggrin:

10. bluaeon

bluaeon

Dec 9, 2008
    CA
    i always say to myself...

"expect the unexpected"
    and
    "think of it as glass half full"

11. "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana" -- Groucho Marx

12. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    "I'll burn that bridge when I get to it" - a friend of my sister's.

13. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Groucho,

"I have twelve children..."
    "Lady, isn't that a bit of a burden?"
    "Well, I love my husband."
    "Lady, I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while!"

"If you were my husband i'd put poison in your drink!"
    "If i were married to you lady i'd drink it!" Churchill

14. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Samuel Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction, during one of the finer moments in cinema. Good one!

15. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Another Groucho quote:

I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.

And a few more. First, a serious one:

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
    John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

And a couple of fun quotes:

I'm no fool. I've killed the boss, you think they're not gonna fire me for a thing like that?

Violet Newstead

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

And look no farther than my signature line for another one I love. Not a quote, but a poignant line.

16. My all time favorite quote:

"Don't look too hard though, because if you train your eye to see the difference, you're screwed." -Uncle Frank talking about the Cream Machine.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. "Beer is proof that God loves man"
    Benjamin Franklin

18. Ryan Bradford

Ryan Bradford

Jul 14, 2009
    Rochester
    Ask Not what your country can do for you, Its what you can do for your country- JFK
    When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth- Dawn of the Dead "Original"

19. lexdiamonnyc

lexdiamonnyc

Mar 23, 2009
    nj/nyc
    "You gonna bark all day little dog?...........or you gonna bite??"

Mr. Blonde-Reservoir Dogs

I love that line:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.