February morning at the Louvre

Early february morning as we walked over to visit the louvre from our hotel on the Champs Elysees. While waiting to cross the roundabout noticed the gentleman in the old fiat 500 with a couple of old suitcases on the rack. Forgot how small they actually are and no way would the luggage fit inside with any passengers. Later as we made our way down the stairs and into the atrium took the chance to get a shot of the Richelieu Wing through the Glass Pyramid.

JW8_7211-BW.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JW8_7215-BW.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both images from the D800 and the 24-120mm f4.0 at 24mm

Last edited:
Really interesting b&w scenes, John!
Especially the second one: I haven't seen the pyramid myself yet. Last time I was in Paris was a business trip and I stayed in La Défense.
And the time before was long before the pyramid was built :)

Really interesting b&w scenes, John!
Especially the second one: I haven't seen the pyramid myself yet. Last time I was in Paris was a business trip and I stayed in La Défense.
And the time before was long before the pyramid was built :)
Thank Bart. Apparently there was a great amount of controversy when the Glass pyramids were built. The large glass pyramid houses the undergound entrance to the Louvre and there are three other smaller glass pyramids in the Louvre courtyard, one on each side and behind the main Glass Pyramid. Also in the roundabout is the large inverted Glass Pyramid that was featured in Dan Brown's book the Da Vinci Code. Gotta love Paris.

I sometimes think that black and white was invented for Paris.

Yes the I.M. Pei's pyramids were roundly criticized, but like many things they've now become iconic. I believe the Eiffel Tower was derided when it was first constructed (I think the phrase was 'a pimple on the face of Paris') and now there are few other structures as closely linked to their city.

Macron had originally favored putting a modern spin on the rebuild of the roof (or at least the spire) that was destroyed in the fire at Notre Dame. Unfortunately, the reactionaries prevailed and it looks like they are going to reproduce the (18th?) center spire as it was. I think it is a shame as there was nothing 'original' about the spire in the first place. As devastating as the fire was in the first place, it should have been an opportunity to re-envision the character and space of a building that has evolved over centuries. But then again, I'm just a crass American modernist. Love Paris though . . .

Real Name
Andy
Apparently there was a great amount of controversy when the Glass pyramids were built.
Yes the I.M. Pei's pyramids were roundly criticized, but like many things they've now become iconic.
I saw the Louvre before and after the I.M. Pei additions that were made in the late 1980s. Before the French Renaissance, the Louvre was of Medieval Era architecture. IMO, each change has been an improvement, even if not immediately accepted. In any case, you have photographed the two "newest-looking" bits of Louvre architecture brilliantly.

Real Name
Phil
Beautiful images!

I love the Louvre. Right now, I should be in Paris attending an international conference.😭

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom