Feedback on this upgrade

My Core2 Duo 2.4GHz/4gb RAM is not cutting it with LR 3.6 and I'm in need of an upgrade. After combing various reviews and roundups, I came up with these components. The only thing I'm keeping is the PSU, GPU and monitor. I'm hoping this will resolve all the lag, rendering delays and 'not responding' alerts. Just looking for any feedback. Just so you know, I went with the WD VelociRaptor drive for the OS and apps because an SSD is more than I can afford. I really don't want to spend money on this but I think it's necessary because my current set up is too frustrating to use.

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLHX 150GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory

If there is a way to get smooth non-laggy performance without having to step up to a Sandy Bridge CPU, feel free to speak up. An earlier i7 processor version would be fine if it doesn't choke when processing masks that cover the whole image when I use the adjustment brush.

Thanks

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The i7 processor and Win 7 64 bit operating system with more than 4GB memory will make a dramatic difference. Good choice.

If you want to save some money without a huge difference then:
1. Don't get the Velociraptor.
2. Get only 8GB of memory.

It is all too easy to spend other people's money - this way you will still have a great system and save some cash too.

The i7 processor and Win 7 64 bit operating system with more than 4GB memory will make a dramatic difference. Good choice.

If you want to save some money without a huge difference then:
1. Don't get the Velociraptor.
2. Get only 8GB of memory.

It is all too easy to spend other people's money - this way you will still have a great system and save some cash too.

I was wondering about the amount of RAM since LR seems to chew up all kinds of memory. I wanted to leave some headroom.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I was wondering about the amount of RAM since LR seems to chew up all kinds of memory. I wanted to leave some headroom.

You could get the 8GB to start with. Keep an eye on Task Manager. If you find you are regularly using more than 8GB then buy another 8GB.

Of course as memory gets cheaper and cheaper it may be simplest to buy the 16GB to start with.

I'll second the opinion...definitely no to the velociraptor. Not worth it. Newer hard disks like these 1TB-per-platter Seagates will be as fast or faster than the velociraptor in most situations:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

Second...to save even more budget...consider the i5-2500k instead of the 2600k. They are pretty close in performance for most uses. In fact I'd go so far as to say. Get the 2500k, and put the extra towards a 60GB SSD (Crucial M4, Samsung 830, Intel 520) and use it in conjunction with the 1TB drive above via the Intel SRT caching setup you can do with the Z68 chipset. It works very well and is seamless way to get SSD like performance without any management of two separate drives.

I have to agree with everyone else on the storage. Save yourself some annoyance and nix the Velociraptor. If anything, just get a 60GB SSD which is more than enough for the OS, your apps, and a couple games. I'm using 91 GB and have my 120 GB Force GT loaded to the gills with all programs.

Also, keep in mind the 2500k frequently goes on sale for less than $200, and the 2600k can be had for less than $250 if you look around. I personally have the 2500k; if you want real performance, you should skip 2600k and jump up to the X79 platform, but that's appreciably more expensive. 2500k is a known sweet spot.

a new system is always nice if you have / want that option

the other way to look at this is what could be done to your existing system to give it a longer life,. i.e. if you work out the bottlenecks in the current system you might find it does ok after all

possibly more ram,. put win7 on it (if not already) and perhaps an ssd,. I can't say whether any of these would make a substantial difference but it's entirely possible depending..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom