Feedback on website please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vinod Menon, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I just put together a sample website that I wanted feedback on. It is still a work in progress, but I have temporarily hosted it at http://www.menonsonline.com. I am no web designer, but I thought I'd give it a try. Your comments will be appreciated. I tried to keep the use of Flash to a minimum. :D

Thanks,
    -Vinod

2. Vinrod, very nice. I would like to put together a site, but wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Excellent site and great images too.

3. Classy website with some excellent images. My only comment would be that I would like the see the images a little larger when you click on them.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    One of the best sites that I've seen Vinod. Very clean looking and easy to navigate. I definitely like the uncluttered look.

Want to do one for me?? :lol:

5. The building blocks for a good website start with a plan. Having just finished a class in web design, Vinod, I must tell you web design is no easy job. I like what you've done here so far, but you need to give more forethought to what you want your website to be. Who is your target audience and what do you want your site to be?

If you're doing a website for photographers, then Gordon's comments above, are worth noting.

I'm learning from my mistakes. My website is evolving and learning to use it productively as a working tool is more complex than I imagined. For most people it's probably easier to use canned software similar to the program you're using here and/or image hosting sites.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

BTW, your gallery link at the top of the page doesn't work. It should point to your galleries.

6. Thanks Scott, Gordon and Frank for your comments. I think I will increase the size of the displayed images. Frank, I had a tough time meeting my own requirements, can't imagine doing one for anybody else :shock:

7. Virginia,

Thanks for the comments. You are right, web design is not easy :D. I know I should have a plan, but I don't :oops: My intended audience is anyone willing to take a look at it...I might at a later time consider putting a link for ordering prints, but I doubt anyone will want to click that.
    The first page displayed is the galleries page, so the galleries link is correct. I need to change the "home" link to an intro page.
    Thanks for the feedback once again! :D

8. Anybody else have any feedback? (sorry for the shameless bump :oops:)

Thanks!

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Vinod,

Though I'm not a web designer, I had my good share of viewing websites - perhaps tens of thousands through the years. I had also the luck to work with some professional marcom people, web masters and web designers at my former workplace - the company did a good job in that.

1. Your website is clean and totally uncluttered - this is excellent!
    2. I like the black background - it enhances the pictures
    3. The webpages and pictures load fast - even accross the ocean (distance has a slight influence on that)
    4. There is no scroll bar - on a small 14-15" laptop screen I can't see the entire page, only when pressing F11 to remove the IE headers
    5. Your pictures are too good to view them in the size you use - I agree with Gordon that a click on the image should show a large size picture.

I really enjoyed your website!!!

Regards,

10. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Very nice!

Hey,

Looked at your site. It is very neatly laid out. Is it out of a box, or did you do the entire thing yourself? The one gripe I will use is that your photographs are too small. They should be bigger. It IS a photography website - and your work is very good.

-JM

11. Thank you Heiko, Jacki and James for your valuable feedback.
    Heiko, I will look into the scrollbar thing for the IE browser, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Jacki, that catbird story is indeed funny :D :D.
    James, the image viewer itself is a free xml based flash viewer called Simpleviewer. I just incorporated it into the rest of the site. I did the layout, front page and navigation of the site.

12. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Vinod

Very relaxing to browse trough,great lay-out
    I'm with Gordon a little bigger

Want something similar for myself,not that I know where to start.....

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Your website is very nice. Your photos are so wonderful and I kept looking for a way to view them larger. I really wanted to see more!!!

I think you've got a great start here.

15. Thank you hans, Paul and Terri for taking the time to comment. Paul I agree with Virginia's point...and like you said, I do need to think what next? :D The image size seems to be a common gripe, so that is something I will change.