Feeding time at the Osprey Nest

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Our chicks have hatched and are keeping the parents quite busy with feeding them. Bill, Jim and I spent a few hours at the nest a couple of days ago and watched as the two parents brought fish back to the nest.

Here are a few of the shots I got, shot with D2X, 500mm.

original.

original.

original.

Louie

2. Niecy

Niecy Guest

Fantastic! Wonderful series Louie.

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Extremely nice !

4. That third shot is especially terrific -- they're all really good, though. Fun to see babies after a long period of watching the mother just sitting on the nest...

5. Good shooting! Glad to see all are well. When first born, one was much smaller then the other two. Appears it is catching up.

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Even at 500mm you must be reasonably close and the to be on the same hight as the nest, What a prevledge. Very cool shots.

7. Beautiful Louie! Mine little ospreys look a few days older.

Anthony

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice Louie
    3 adorable little ones:>))

9. Great shots Louie. Please tell me the if parents are "good", making sure each chick gets food, as opposed to just stuffing the grub into the widest opned and closest face.

I noticed a huge diference between the GWE' and the Spoonie parents at High Island this spring. The GWE parents would just gag up a wad into the bottom of the the nest and then there was a free-for-all between the chicks. Ths Spoonie parents served each chick a gag-up individually. Even at tender young ages there was quite a bit of size disparity with the GWE chicks, and virtually none with the Spoonie kids.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful set Louie. Here many of our Osprey nests are too far out in the lake to get close to without a boat. You are fortunate to have such a great perspective. :smile:

11. Gee, Louie, where did you find such a good location to shoot????? :biggrin:

It is quite cool to see them again, and to have 3 chicks again this year, just like last year. Guess I'd best get my butt in gear, process some and catch up!

I like 'em, a lot, now we just need better weather.

I'm waiting for the Stan Sayers shots, did you go again this AM? Up for the Osprey's and Eagles on the 4th of July??????/

12. Louie, great series.

Thanks for sharing

Lil

13. Thanks for taking a look and commenting.

14. Thanks Ben.

Louie

15. Thanks Connie. You're right after waiting for the eggs to hatch it's rather exciting to now watch all of the activities taking place.

16. Thanks Jerry. There is one that is noticable smaller, hope it survives. Nature has its own way of dealing with this. I saw one of the larger chicks really going after the smaller one earlier this week.

Louie

17. Thanks Troy. Yes, we feel very lucky to have a nest in such a location and believe me we are very respectful of this location and do our best not to overly disturb the family.

Louie

18. Very Nice Louie,

You have set a pretty high bar with those shots

19. Well done Louie. These are great images. I really like the first shot every part of it is perfect.

20. Thanks Anthony, these guys are growing by the minute.

Louie