Feeding time

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, May 17, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I'm always amazed by the abuse the parent great egrets take from their chicks at feeding time
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the escape

[​IMG]

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Looks about like me and my about to be 2 year old and 3 year old sons at breakfast! Those boys wake up ravenous....you'd think I didn't feed them dinner....Were these taken at the St. Augustine Rookery? Great shots, Harry!

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Leigh,

I flashed back to my fatherhood days with a young child when I viewed these shots too. :D

They were taken at the St. Augustine rookery

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good heavens Harry,

they are agressive..

Great shots.

Thanks.

5. OUCH!! Nice series!! :D :D :D

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Wow, Harry! Those guys really are aggressive and you captured the action well! With those long sharp beaks it's amazing they don't kill each other! :shock:

7. Along about now I would be thinking of kicking these urchins out of the nest. Well taken series Harry.

8. Excellent captures, really shows the interaction between parents and the young. I watched an NG program last week which shows that sometimes the parents have to shake the young's heads out of their throats if they really "get in there" because they then start to suffocate! Ain't nature grand *LOL*

Harry, these are great pics!!

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Gale,

Aggressive ain't the word for it. I would be out of there if they were mine. :lol:

10. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    'There's no such thing as a free lunch' but I think these babes have never heard that 'saying'...

Harry these are super!

Best to you,
    Gaye

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Ouch is right Daniel. :lol: Thanks for stopping by.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great captures Harry. I'm surprised that they survive to bring up their young. :?

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Don. I'm surprised too that I haven't seen any of them get injured in their feeding frenzy.

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    My line of thinking too Gordon. Thanks

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I'm sorry I missed that show. I can believe it about the youngsters getting stuck because they do get in there. Thanks for your response.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Gaye,

Its always great hearing from you. Thanks for your comments.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

Thanks. I know that if I was the parent I would give serious consideration to throwing them down to the gators below.

Rookery FYI

The Great Egret chicks are just about fully grown but the Snowy Egret and Tri-color Heron eggs have just begun to hatch. The Cattle Egrets, Little Blue Herons, and Green Herons have just begun to nest, mate and lay eggs so there will be plenty of action to shoot when you get down here.