Feeding time

I'm always amazed by the abuse the parent great egrets take from their chicks at feeding time
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

the escape

Looks about like me and my about to be 2 year old and 3 year old sons at breakfast! Those boys wake up ravenous....you'd think I didn't feed them dinner....Were these taken at the St. Augustine Rookery? Great shots, Harry!

Leigh said:
Looks about like me and my about to be 2 year old and 3 year old sons at breakfast! Those boys wake up ravenous....you'd think I didn't feed them dinner....Were these taken at the St. Augustine Rookery? Great shots, Harry!
Hey Leigh,

I flashed back to my fatherhood days with a young child when I viewed these shots too. :D

They were taken at the St. Augustine rookery

Wow, Harry! Those guys really are aggressive and you captured the action well! With those long sharp beaks it's amazing they don't kill each other! :shock:

Excellent captures, really shows the interaction between parents and the young. I watched an NG program last week which shows that sometimes the parents have to shake the young's heads out of their throats if they really "get in there" because they then start to suffocate! Ain't nature grand *LOL*

Harry, these are great pics!!

'There's no such thing as a free lunch' but I think these babes have never heard that 'saying'...

Harry these are super!

Best to you,
Gaye

drueter said:
Wow, Harry! Those guys really are aggressive and you captured the action well! With those long sharp beaks it's amazing they don't kill each other! :shock:
Thanks Don. I'm surprised too that I haven't seen any of them get injured in their feeding frenzy.

TOLady said:
Excellent captures, really shows the interaction between parents and the young. I watched an NG program last week which shows that sometimes the parents have to shake the young's heads out of their throats if they really "get in there" because they then start to suffocate! Ain't nature grand *LOL*

Harry, these are great pics!!
I'm sorry I missed that show. I can believe it about the youngsters getting stuck because they do get in there. Thanks for your response.

GeeJay said:
'There's no such thing as a free lunch' but I think these babes have never heard that 'saying'...

Harry these are super!

Best to you,
Gaye
Hi Gaye,

Its always great hearing from you. Thanks for your comments.

Flew said:
Great captures Harry. I'm surprised that they survive to bring up their young. :?
Hey Frank,

Thanks. I know that if I was the parent I would give serious consideration to throwing them down to the gators below.

Rookery FYI

The Great Egret chicks are just about fully grown but the Snowy Egret and Tri-color Heron eggs have just begun to hatch. The Cattle Egrets, Little Blue Herons, and Green Herons have just begun to nest, mate and lay eggs so there will be plenty of action to shoot when you get down here.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom