Feel the Linear Burn

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by jeremyInMT, Jul 20, 2007.

1. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Has anyone here played much with Linear Burn mode for effect? Apparently I haven't paid enough attention to it. I was really pleased with the results of this...
    1. push the color in Lab mode
    2. sharpen some
    3. fix perspective
    4. apply image to new layer
    a) create new layer
    b) change effect of layer to luminosity
    c) click Image->Apply Image
    d) choose Background, Red Channel (or whatever channel makes it look cool to you after you select Linear Burn below)
    e) select Linear Burn
    f) Click OK
    g) set the opacity of the layer to your taste
    5. Sharpen until it becomes obvious, then back off just a touch.
    6. Enjoy the cool new tool you've learned!

Here's my sample:
    [​IMG]

2. Looks very contrasty and saturated. What did the original look like, btw?

3. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I have this irritating habit of not posting the original...hehe...sorry about that!

[​IMG]

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    all i see is a red x

5. I saw the image when he first posted..............but now I also get a red X!

6. Ok, the pictures came up. The first one looks much more sinister than its original counterpart. I do find it to be fairly dark however.

7. That is a cool technique; the final version brings out so much more detail than the original. I could see this image being converted to B/W now, actually.

8. Nice tech.

LBM, I just converted this to BW. Works beautifully. The bell is a bit overdone in the original. Then I tried a BW conversion on the original... No comparison.

Jeremy, I'm going to try this technique on several of my own shots. Thanks for the post.

9. Just tried it and it works best on a single color shot like your red wall and bell.

10. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

That's actually something I thought of but hadn't tried it yet! Thanks for looking Sean.

Looks like the work conveys at least part of my intent here. I did want it dark. A big part of this is the rich deep color and then the cord and parts of the bell standing out. The bell may not stand out enough.

You're welcome and glad it helped. My real intent for the steps here is exactly what you got out of it...Uncover something that I enjoy and maybe others can figure out ways to do even more stuff with it.

I wondered about this but hadn't had a chance to try other stuff yet.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. I'd love to see posts of what ya'll have tried with this. Let's make it a good instructional thread!