Feeling Selfish About My Bonus

Hello all,

Our company did well this year and EVERYONE in the company was lucky enough to get a bonus. We usually only get a bonus during the x-mas season, which I always use to buy others x-mas presents.

I have been lusting after a lens for quite a while now, but the wife wants me to put the bonus towards our patio door/deck project. Question is.......is it selfish of me to want to spend it on myself? :rolleyes:

T

The Switcher

Hello all,

Our company did well this year and EVERYONE in the company was lucky enough to get a bonus. We usually only get a bonus during the x-mas season, which I always use to buy others x-mas presents.

I have been lusting after a lens for quite a while now, but the wife wants me to put the bonus towards our patio door/deck project. Question is.......is it selfish of me to want to spend it on myself? :rolleyes:

how about you keep half the money to buy the lens say a month later and use half for the patio?

Would the patio\Deck get done if the bonus wasnt there? What lens are you lusting after? You didnt mention the bonus amount (and thats fine) Can you make a compromise, maybe get a different lens and the deck?

It is a hard choice, but making her happy will allow you to be happy. Get her stuff but keep any left over toward your lenses.

Also, does the missus work? Does she have anything to contribute toward the things she says you both need?

Yes, she works very hard. But every year we get stuff the she "suggests" we need (ie a new bed, bedroom furniture, dishwasher, washing machine, (you won't beleive me, but its true) a 46" flatscreen tv and tv stand).

As far as the deck getting done without my bonus...the project will not get finished either way because of incorrect withholdings from uncle sam that we were counting on for the project!!

I was going to get the cream machine, but I think I will split it up and get a nice 105 2.5 with some tubes, and put the rest towards the project!!

Real Name
Paul
A maxim to take to heart - happy wife, happy life. :biggrin: I'd really like to get a D7000 and maybe a new lens. Reason? Our son is getting married this summer and we have a new grandbaby coming in late summer or early fall. However! We've been renovating and the last major part is the main bathroom. Guess who was taking up the old lino on the weekend?

(Jon - I think you've hit on a reasonable solution!)

Yes, she works very hard. But every year we get stuff the she "suggests" we need (ie a new bed, bedroom furniture, dishwasher, washing machine, (you won't beleive me, but its true) a 46" flatscreen tv and tv stand)....

My experience (married for 24 years) has been that if the wife is not happy, I am not happy. No amount of glass can change that...:eek:

Also - I notice that most of the things she has "suggested" are things for the house, not toys for herself. Unless you make money from photography, I'd go with what the wife wants and save your pennies for a future purchase.

Fred

You would get more use out of the deck than the lens. I say go for the deck.

Sorry that's probably not the answer you wanted...but you did ask. :frown:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom