Feisol ballhead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cknight, Jul 20, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Has anyone looked at the Feisol carbon fiber ballhead CB-50?
    I may be looking for a ballhead soon. It looks like a good deal, but don't know much about ballheads.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

I'd never heard of this unit until your post, so I went and looking it up. It may be a total piece of junk, but it sure looks like a nice option. The price is right too. For those that have not seen it, here's a link:

http://www.thresholdconcepts.com/photo-featuresCB50.htm

I'd sure like to see some independent eval's on it before getting one, but if it has no hidden flaws, it might be pretty good for relatively light up to medium cam / lens combos.

Let us know what you find out.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    There was a lengthy discussion on this ballhead on DPR a while back although it was all speculation since I don't think anyone had one yet at the time. Based on the reputation of Feisol's monopods and tripods I'm sure it's an excellent ballhead for the price.

It looks like the downsides are:

1) Although it has a panning base, there's no separate tension control so it's not an _independent_ panning base and there are also no degree markings.

2) Their generic plates aren't flanged and don't really look to be up to the level of quality of plates from RRS or Kirk. According to Feisol you can use other Arca-style plates although the safety pin feature probably won't be functional.

3) According to Feisol you cannot replace the QR clamp with another one (for instance if you wanted to use the RRS lever-release or panning clamps).

Based on the specs it has a bigger ball than the Kirk BH3 or Markins M10 (50mm on the Feisol versus 42mm on the BH3 and 44mm on the M10) despite being competitive in weight. I think for somebody looking to buy an affordable Arca-style ballhead the Feisol is definitely worth considering.

4. So how are their tripods? Compared of course to say the Gitzo G1325?

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not really a valid comparison. The Feisol tripods are more in line with the Gitzo 12xx series. I have the Feisol monopod and it's very nice. I don't have their tripod but I know people who do and are very happy with it. I have seen/handled one of them and it seemed really nice also.