Feisol Monopod

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Russ Smith, Sep 13, 2005.

1. How many of you are using the Feisol monopod?

1. What do you think of it?

2. What kind of head are you using?

3. Have you used it with a D2X & 200-400mm VR?

Thanks

Russ

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's a great bargain and I just like the feel of it better than my old bogen aluminum monopod, even if it's not drastically lighter. Only thing I'm not crazy about are the twist-locks, I prefer levers like on my tripod. Nodoby seems to use those on CF monopods, though.

Was previously using the Bogen 3232 with an Arca-style QR clamp on it. Worked great for everything up to a 70-200vr and flash. Now I'm using a Markins M10 ballhead on it, because the 3232 just wasn't sturdy enough for the 200-400vr in my experience.

Yes, the Feisol doesn't seem to have any problem with this load. I've even added the RRS flash bracket and SB-800. You do have to choose your head carefully. With the Bogen 3232 I found that I couldn't tighten it down enough to keep the creep out when carrying the whole thing over my shoulder. With the M10 I don't have that problem (and it also gave me an excuse to upgrade my tripod to the RRS BH-55 :smile: ).

At the time I bought the Feisol, I didn't really foresee using it with such a large lens, but it's worked out just fine. That said, another CF monopod that's recently come to my attention is the =http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...st.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=318590&is=REG]Giottos, it looks to be a bit thicker and also is available in a 3-section version (which would mean one less leg-lock to worry about). There are a few different versions.

3. avalanche161

avalanche161

May 17, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Russ--I also use the Feisol and the Bogen 3232 head. Great value and has worked fine in a wide variety of situations over the past year.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. I have the Feisol and have used a Bogen 3232 and the RRS 25mm ball head on it.

Haven't had any problems with it at all. The leg locks work fine for me. Even better than those on the Gitzo 1348 I use. That is, I can loosen any particular joint without the joint(s) above coming loose.