Female Belted Kingfisher

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Nov 5, 2005.

1. This bird has always been high on my list to capture an image of. I spent 3 hours sitting in the swamp behind the house today. Saw a coyote, bald eagle, some deer, did not get any shots of them. But this lady came along and allowed a few shots. Hope you like them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dave

2. Like them, bet you feel it was worth the work getting them. Saw quite a few of these birds while on holiday in Lower Rio Grande area of Texas recently but was never able to photograph one.

3. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Nice captures, Dave. My most favorite bird, no doubt. Have never had the opportunity to photograph one, however. Perhaps one day--with enough patience... .

4. Dave and Jerry I appreciate your comments. I was quite excited to get these. here is on last one [​IMG]

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

As a devoted kingfisher shooter myself, let me congratulate you on these shots. Really nice - you managed to hold the whites on the bird from flaring excessively but still kept a lot of the dark had details. This is, as you well know, difficult in direct sunlight with these little birds. Well exposed !

I'm curious about the lens used for this as the EXIF data isn't attached to these shots. Was this the 200-400mm AFS/VR ? Any TC used ?

John P.

6. Wapiti

Wapiti

Nov 5, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Hey Dave,
    I've been trying to get one of these guys for several years, but have nothing. They seem to be quite "spooky" down here in South Texas. Love your images

7. Dave, you did a great job in capturing this little girl. Well worth the wait-time, I'd say!

8. John
    Thanks for the compliment. I did use the 200-400 VR with TC1.4II. Shot at ISO 320. I nearly got the chance at a RR flip but she gobbled it down too fast.
    Thanks again,
    Dave

9. Bill,
    Glad to have you on board! Thanks for viewing my images and taking the time to comment. This has been one of the birds that I most wanted a good picture of. Rather elusive. Just got a lucky break today.
    Dave

10. Thanks Sandi! Did not see any gators either :^)
    Dave

11. Great capture these are on my top 5 list of birds to capture, very well done dave sounds like more fun than the oyster festival

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Not fair Dave, not fair. Every time I see one of these guys, they manage to stay just out of camera range. Looks like patience does pay off.

Well done. :wink:

13. Love those Kingfishers Dave. Glad you had the opportunity to get them.

14. Thanks mike. I am not the most popular guy in the house after bailing out on the oyster festival, but I suspect things will be fine. This is really a species I doubted I would ever get with the camera.
    Dave

15. Frank,
    I was wondering why this one kept mumbling "flew,dangit, flew"
    oh well.............
    Dave

16. Thanks Jim! I am going back in the morning and hope to get some more, hopefully at ISO 100.
    Dave

17. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Great series, Dave. Well worth sitting in a marsh for three hours for! :biggrin: Must be great to have a swamp with all that wildlife behind your house. Are you in the Southern part of the state?

Gordon

18. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well done Dave
    another outstanding post of really tough subject :wink:

Only got lucky once (where have we heard that before) once we these guys so I know how hard they are and how justly proud you should be !!

19. Really nice shots Dave, I know how hard they are to get, you try for ever and suddenly they are there in front of you.

20. Nice shots, Dave! Yesterday, while Gale & I were at Viera, I managed to snap off a few half-way decent shots of a Kingfisher. They're such tough birds to shoot, down here anyway, mostly because they're so skittish. You done good!!