Female Belted Kingfisher

A couple of captures of a female Belted Kingfisher, same bird different month and time of the day. First capture is April 30th at 5 pm and it had just stopped raining, and still overcast, D500 and Sigma 500mm f4 sport prime, second capture was September 3rd at 10 am, bird was back-lit, D850 and Sigma 500mm f4 sport prime. Both captures are hand held.

1. Slightly cropped
DSC_4178_DxO_1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3. Cropped

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I've never managed to capture an image of a Kingfisher (not entirely true - I have captured a 3 pixel smear a time or two). I swear the little buggers can sense the electronic impulses of my autofocus motor that urge them to head for the horizon at best possible speed. :cry:

That may be why I now shoot landscapes with mountains - they don't move very fast at all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never managed to capture an image of a Kingfisher (not entirely true - I have captured a 3 pixel smear a time or two). I swear the little buggers can sense the electronic impulses of my autofocus motor that urge them to head for the horizon at best possible speed. :cry:

That may be why I now shoot landscapes with mountains - they don't move very fast at all. :rolleyes:
Thank you Gonzo, too capture these elusive little buggers you need to be stationary and in covered in complete camouflage, if camouflage is not available use your surroundings to blend in, the first capture that was captured in April I was leaning against a tree surrounded by brush, and was busy frolicking with a male, perched for a few minutes which gave me some time to get a few shots off, then she took off when she heard him calling, two minutes later they both whizzed past me, didn't even know I was there, it's easier when they are both occupied with each other. The second shot I was wearing my camouflage, sitting down at the edge of the pond by this perch they both use, I was 10-15 yards from her, got off a bunch of shots resting the lens on one of my knees, the lighting was atrocious with no cloud cover to break up harsh sun.
This is the camouflage I use, with a mask, it helps break up your outline, the bird had no clue that I was there, this is the closest I have ever gotten to a Kingfisher by just sitting there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XK62LPB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qa4uFbRG83ZJA

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom