fence, old rr station

I took this image and then made another one with a b/w layer (I reduced the opacity of th eb/w layer about 10%. Which do you prefer?

_NAA5600.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_NAA5600-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like the color one more, but that could be that I use color 99% of the time. Your suggestion on the crop makes sense. I like the longer fence but it does not add in this case - too much of interest is on the right.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I strongly prefer the color version but that's only because it's a personal preference. Which version do you prefer? I ask because that's the only thing that matters.

Consider cropping to exclude everything to the left of the closest pink column and everything beneath that column's shadow. Then convert to monochrome.
If you were to follow Mike's suggestion, I would also suggest raising the shadows in the ceiling and the brick wall on the right to bring out more detail, and cropping to a square format. I think that could make a strong b&w image.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Thanks Bill. Looking at my 2 images, the roof is darker in my color version. Is that the one you think I should raise the shadows in?
Yes, the color version (#1), if you were to convert to pure b&w. My suggestion would be to try to bring out more detail in the roof and wall than in #2, with the same level of overall contrast as (or maybe even just a wee bit more than) in #1.

If the image was mine I would convert it to pure contrasty B&W . And I would try some crops for a better composition as the left part doesn't add much to the image .

Yes, the color version (#1), if you were to convert to pure b&w. My suggestion would be to try to bring out more detail in the roof and wall than in #2, with the same level of overall contrast as (or maybe even just a wee bit more than) in #1.
Thanks for the advice. I will givee it a try but since I am traveling it might not be for a while.

If the image was mine I would convert it to pure contrasty B&W . And I would try some crops for a better composition as the left part doesn't add much to the image .
Thanks for the suggestion. I tend to like a landscape orientation so I default to that when I should have cut ssome off. Better still I should have compose the image differently.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom