Feral cat, a very dangerous animal

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Ken-L, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

This feral walked by my patio door while I was looking for someting to try my 70-200VR with......click - right through the double-paned door.

27862339_68b44adb6d_o.

2. Looks pretty ferocious :lol: I'm all a quiver. Nice capture.

3. That's a new one for me. Is it a house cat gone wild? By that I'm not being funny; I understand domestic pigs that go wild qickly become very visious. It sure looks like a house cat.

Rich

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Ooh, some do look like housecats, at least this one does, but he was born feral and lives wild. He and some others hang around out back in the shade of our trees.....the downside is there are no birds around anymore, they hunt them, the hummingbirds stay away. This one's mother was one of the toughest most fearless cats I have ever seen, torn ears, snaggle-toothed, actually runs to the action at the sound of trouble - we call her Sweetie.

Meet Sweetie
    27882569_c951ee6fb5_o.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent capture Ken. He looks like a really tough character. Life can be pretty rough for ferals, but this one looks pretty healthy.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

No doubt about it......my wife keeps a bowl filled with dry cat food out where they can get to it, and there's a water source too. I'm not sure if the game they catch are for hors d'oeuvres or dessert.

We also have a trap and catch as many as we can and have them neutered before turning them loose.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good for you and your wife Ken. :wink:

8. Very good shot Ken. I can't see any part of the pane glass window. Very sharp.
    Pete

9. Great shot, Ken. Shooting through glass can be a "reflection pain" for sure, good job in keeping them out.

People do not realize just how dangerous these feral cats can be, nor how large they can become. We were at an animal reserve outside of Adelaide, Australia in 1997 where they have a huge problem with the feral cat population. The cats come over the barbed wire fences and kill animals in the compounds. They showed us the pelt of one of the feral animals, over 6 feet in length from tip of the nose to tip of the tail. That is one HUGE domestic type cat. I don't know about your part of the country, but here they figure the average lifespan of a cat that has gone feral at only about 2 years.

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

We love cats. I especially like ferals. The survivors are quite something. There is a "new breed" the Savannah Cat, a hybrid between a "housecat" and an African Meercat, that is HUGE. I'd like to see one running down the street chasing a dog......

(This photo is from a web site)
    [​IMG]

11. Ken;

Sorry about the sarcasm. I thought you were kidding about this cat being a feral. :oops: It looks so tame.

Our cat was born at a construction site to a feral. She (our cat) is very shy, but very much a tame, lazy house cat.

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I didn't find you sarcastic in the least bit! My title was kinda tongue-in-cheek.
    Although he is a feral, he certainly isn't a dangerous one, and is actually one of the most docile of the colony!