Ferret gone wild

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PEPPER PETE, May 21, 2005.

1. I got a big treat yesterday when I was sitting out in the patio. I saw what at first was a squirrel, and was amaze to see a ferret. Here in Calif. it is against the law to have ferrets, but people still bring them in from outside of Calif. and keep them a pets. I'm just assuming that is was a pet that escaped and spent the afternoon in my back yard. I haven't seen yet today so I'm not sure it's still around. Pics. are with my D-70 and 70-200 VR. Hope you like Ferrets.
    Pete

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh how cute....

Good catch

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pete,

I think ferrets are very cute. These are nice shots, but all but the last look a little overexposed.

Why are they outlawed in California?

4. Thanks Fram, I'm not sure why they are outlawed in Calif. Maybe someone out there on the forum knows the answer.
    Pete

5. Yes Gale, they are cute and this one has an unusual square of white on it's forehead. Thanks Gale.
    Pete

6. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I love ferrets. My sister used to have a couple of them. They're a riot. If you're around one - hide your keys.
    That's unusual coloring for a domesticated ferret.
    I think they are illegal is some places because of fears that they might become feral if let loose. I also think that has been debunked, but I can't remember where I read that.

7. Hi Chris, yes I agree about the coloring, I googled ferret and saw a lot of pics. on them and this one, to me has remarkable coloring. I understand too that they are like taking care of a infant fo 10 years. Thanks for the comments and will talk to you soon.
    Pete

8. I think that patch of white on its forehead is where they put in the implant. You just THINK this is a ferret, if is really a new Stealth Security Device being tested. Oops. I don't think I was supposed to tell anybody that, I think I'm in trouble now, so don't tell anybody I told you.

However, now we need to know just what the heck you are hiding?

Canon?
    Fuji?
    Konica-Minolta?
    Pentax?

Or, worse yet, do you still have FILM stored in the freezer???????

OK, enough of that, how tame did the little beasty seem? Was he coming up looking for a handout, or more standoffish like something that has been in the wild for a while? You might want to check with local pet stores and vets to see if anyone has reported one missing. We left CA in 1991, and I know ferrets were OK back then. My guess is that if illiegal now, ones already in possision were grandfathered, so this may be a pet that has gone missing.

Certainly an unusual catch for most folks backyards...... :lol:

9. Hi Bill, Stealth Security Device? You might be right. lol. I'm not hiding anything but in my first post I used my D -70 with a 70-200mmVR that little guy was not that afraid of me, he would come up to about 6 feet and would dart back. Thats why I think he was someones pet. I waited for him to stop running around back and forth from behind the flowers and other places in the back yard before I was able to get some shots. I sure hope he comes back after spending the afternoon in my back yard. I'm not sure what the law is now in Calif. about having them but I do know it was illegal. Maybe the law changed, I can't see any harm in having one as a pet.
    Pete

10. Cool shots, Pete!! That is probably the first ferret shots on the Cafe!! :D :D :D

11. Hi Bryan, I'm still on on a high after seeing this little guy romping around in the back yard. They are fun to watch running with the long and slender body. Thanks for the 'Cool" Bryan.
    Pete