Critique Ferris Wheel

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Dec 3, 2017.

1. This ferris wheel has 48 gondolas, is 180 feet tall and rotates about every two minutes when not stopping to let people on and off. It's located on the Potomac River at Maryland's National Harbor. Riders can easily see Washington, D.C.

Mike 2017-12-02--103-S.

Mike 2017-12-02--085-S.

Mike 2017-12-02--002-S.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Love the graphic quality, both from the B&W conversion and also because you only show a portion of the structure. 1 and 3 would make a great, and contrasting, diptych. #2 is a hoot--reminiscent of a fly caught in a spider web. I'm not sure if there is a wee too much sky above the top of the wheel in #3. All in all, a very nicely done work.

3. Interesting set of pictures...for me they are all about shapes and lines. Very nice conversions.

Glenn

4. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    #2 is a very interesting capture. I like everything in #3, nice lines and shapes, nice composition and nice conversion.

5. I love the comps in all three and the plane is an added treat! We periodically drive between Florida and Pennsylvania. On the route the highway crosses over water and there is a large ferris wheel in the distance. Might this be the one?

6. Thank you to everyone!

Nick: I've also wondered if I should crop a little off the top of the last image.

Dossy: You can see the ferris wheel if you are on the Washington D.C. beltway and the Woodrow Wilson bridge crossing the Potomac River between Maryland and Virginia. If you instead use the American Legion bridge (formerly known as the Cabin John bridge) located on the other side of the beltway to go from one state to the other, you won't see it on your travel between Pennsylvania and Florida.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    A great series, Mike! A challenge to translate something really colourful into b&w.
    Great compositions with the use of fragments.
    Always enjoyable when you see a fragment suggesting the whole.

A technical question or remark: do I see a form of banding in #2?
    In the sky.

8. Now that you mention it, yes, vertical bands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks, Bart!

Bart and Palouse: I don't see any banding in this small file or in the full-size version when viewed at 100%. Please feel free to download the image and mark it up to direct my eyes toward the banding you see.

10. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    It's actually all over the sky, Mike.
    Slightly darker gray bands that run from top to bottom and from left to right.
    I tried to show one such band.

If you don't see anything than it might just as well be an issue with the site.
    I don't see anything similar with #1 or 3 though.

Critique_-_Ferris_Wheel___Nikon_Cafe.

11. What Bart said, except all I see is vertical bands. I'm on a late 2011 MBP, so perhaps it's a machine issue in part?

12. Thanks for taking the time to do that, Bart. However, I'm still not seeing anything in this file or the full-size file at 100%.

I know from another thread that Nick's monitor isn't calibrated, so I wonder if that and/or the use of a laptop monitor is making a difference. Is your monitor calibrated? Mine is. Though I'm really weak on the understanding of the technological stuff, I don't think the difference between calibration or not would make a difference in detecting banding.

My eyesight isn't bad when wearing glasses but both eyes got to the point this year that prescribing a new lens doesn't help. So, I'm due next year for cataract and cornea transplant surgery. Would that explain why I can't see the banding?

13. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm using an Apple thunderbolt display, calibrated.
    The banding is rather subtle. Could be influenced by the brightness setting of the display.
    Depending on the number of shades of grey that are visible.

By the way, I probably didn't express myself well by saying "from left to right".
    I meant, the vertical bands appear all over the sky.

I just checked in Chrome, Opera and Firefox. Same effect.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though.
    If you don't see this in the full-sized file, then it's probably a compression artefact in the software from this site.

14. In fairness to the site, there should be no compression artifacts. That's because I uploaded a file that is small enough to fit without being compressed.

15. Banding shows on my calibrated external monitor too. Remember, I never noticed it until Bart pointed it out.

16. I can see the vertical bands on my iPhone by just opening it up a bit.

17. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    OK. Then that possibility is out too.
    How about uploading the image to your website and posting a link?
    The site automatically converts external links to attachments. Perhaps something went wrong in that phase.

18. If the issue was really important or if I was having a similar problem with any of my other images, I would do that. Considering that I can't even see the banding, I'm enjoying that ignorance truly is bliss. :ROFLMAO:

19. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    You're right, Mike.
    My trouble shooter reflexes got the better of me :)

20. Not at all, Bart. I very much appreciate your offer of help!

• Like Like x 1