Festival Raptors

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Nov 18, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Y'all,

I was up at our area's wildlife festival and the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey and the Raptor Project brought some raptors to the festival.
    45047928-L.
    Creasted Caracara

45047937-L.
    Eagle Owl

45047935-L.
    Prairie Falcon

45047929-L.
    American Kestrel

45047941-L.
    Artic Gyrfalcon (juvenile)

45047945-L.
    Peregrine Falcon

45047934-L.

I got to talking to the folks from The Center for Birds of Prey as its only about an hours drive from my house. They said they would be willing to give us a special tour during Merritt III if we were interested where they would bring some of the raptors out from behind their bars so we could get some clear pics of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2005
  2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    They are all great shots Harry. The fourth, the Kestrel, I really like those birds.

I hope you do get to go to the raptor center and get some nice shots. That would be very cool.

Regards,

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Holy Cow Harry. Does it never stop?!!? Wonderful shots. And such magnificent animals. :smile:

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Patrick. I think it would be a lot of fun to visit the center.

5. Harry, these are magnificant. Beautiful birds.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Beautiful shots Harry very well done !!
    Background on the Eagle now was that your idea ?? :biggrin:

A trip there would be great as well !

7. Harry, great shots! I was at the Audobon Center in Maitland earlier this summer. It is a neat place. Here are 2 eagle shots I got while visiting there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Frank. It really was a thrill to get right up to these guys. They are magnificent!

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Neat to see these guys up real close like this. could you ID all of them except for the 1st & last? Thanks!

10. Fantastic shots we have a local raptor center but we have to shoot through the wire. That would be great if you could make arrangments

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Steve. I edited my post to include IDs

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots Harry of marvelous birds. Love them all. Well done.

Would be great to arrange that, to see and photograph them

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Jim. It was a rush seeing them so close-up.

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Ben. I will arrange a visit to the center for us during Merritt III.

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Nice shots Kevin. I think I will try to arrange a tour for us during Merritt III. maybe we could do the Audobon Center in the AM and then the Orlando Wetlands in the PM.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Mike and it will be no problem to arrange a visit for our group.

17. Logistically that should work well. The Audobon Center is not that huge. Basically a large, circular walkway with cages on the perimeter. I know John Francis was there with the Orlando Camera Club and they took the birds out of the cages for them. I shot through the cages, except for the Eagle shots. They were tethered, but outdoors. It's a small place but one I'm sure that would make for some great close-up bird portraits.

Re: Orlando Wetlands. I've not been there yet and know it's closed til ~Jan 21. So I don't know if AM or PM is best. Hopefully I can get out there end of Jan to check things out.

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

From what I've heard the Orlando Wetlands can be very impressive in the afternoon as the birds come flying in at the end of the day. I wasn't sure about the Raptor Center because its not all that large. Now I'm thinking of a Gatorland in the AM, the Audobon Center midday, and end the day at the Orlando Wetlands shoot. Do you think that's doable?

19. Hi Harry,
    Maybe now that Winter is approaching that might work. The shooting position, at least for the bulk of flight shots, faces East, so morning might be problematic there. There is a boardwalk similar to St Augustine's Alligator Farm that would allow nesting shots. Maybe I can make a trip over there earlier in the day (I think they open at 10am) and see how bad it might be. Three in the day might be tougher. Maybe save Orlando Wetlands for a separate day since it's closer to Brevard area than the others. Drive time between Gatorland and Audobon Society place is probably 45 minutes.

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Gale,

Thanks and I will be happy to arrange a visit to the Audobon Center.