FH Under the Lights (thankfully just once)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Aqualung, Sep 9, 2008.

1. My daughter's team had their home opener last night. For them, it's a big thrill to play on the football field under the lights. For me, it s*&!%!

I decided to shoot Manual, and use the longest, fastest lens I have, which unfortunately is my 85f1.4. Set AutoISO, initially to 2500, then to 3500; of course noise became an issue. Shot RAW too, which I normally don't do. Neat Image used, 50% on the later pics.

Glad I only have to shoot one game :wink:

EXIF embedded, C&C Welcome...

1. First 3 are the JV game just before, w/ the Siggy 120-300.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-006.

2. Wish this light could have hung around :biggrin:
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-022.

3. A version I put on our local hometown site...my daughter's a co-Captain, 3rd from left. 17-55 w/ fill flash.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-064.

4. The player intro gauntlet. 85 w/ a little fill flash.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-070.

milford%20sep%2008%2008-092.

6. Didn't score here.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-096.

7. Kept this one cool for the sky.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-122.

8. Score through the legs.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-205.

9. Score here too, #12 tipped a high pass right in. I know, her back's to me, when I stood behind the goal, the lighting was abysmal, they were in a shadow pool. So I stood to the side.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-213.

10. Point blank rejection, preserved a 5-0 shutout.
    milford%20sep%2008%2008-233.

2. Chris look pretty good, although the score through the legs is OOF, as the background players are in focus.

Wish I could have been there, would have had some fun.

3. thanks Geoff, yeah, I had moved to focus on #21 (tho I didn't get her either) as I thought she would get the pass...maybe I'll crop to just that area?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2008
  4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    thats a dang rough sport!!! nd is it me or does that woman in the first pic look like she is misisn a tooth, sorry just osmthing that caught my eye

5. LOL Jim, musta been something on her mouthguard...

6. Yeah Chris you still did a pretty darned good job with those situations, and all are pretty usable no matter what Geoff says! :smile:

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Well done Chris tough light and you made the most of it
    looking forward to your field hockey shots so keep them coming

8. Thanks Steve, Mark...Geoff? Geoff who? Just joking Geoff :wink:

Got a nice Fri afternoon game coming up....

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    that must have been frustrating trying to shoot FH with a 85 .

Not bad for what you had to work with.

10. Nice shots, Chris. I really like #8 for the perfect angle and timing.

11. Thanks Biggs, Frank. I'll be happy to put the 85 back in the bag :biggrin:

12. The light in No. 2 is sweet. Looks like you sat sideline for most these, correct?

13. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Shooting under lights...could make the Pope want to cuss! :biggrin:

These look pretty good to me. I know how hard it is for me to get even decent shots under lights. I can really appreciate the skill involved in getting shots like you did.
    I didn't say I could do it, just that I can appreciate it.
    I can't play Beethoven's 5th Symphony either, but I can appreciate it. :smile:

14. Thanks Jeff, Brooks. Oh yeah, that was awesome lighting...Yes, I was sidelines for most of them, on my knees. Tried a few from behind the goal as I usually do but the lighting was terrible so I moved out to the corner/sidelines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.